Carrera "cross city"motor poor power

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alfie 1

Hi,I have just bought a new cross scity e bike.This one is identical in appearance to my 2020 city bike that I have . However the motor output power is very poor compared to my first one It is loud and wines all the time.The slightest of hills make the motor labour and having to use a lot more battery power.The motor is a different make.Does anyone know if my version has had planetary gears fitted inside the motor that makes is wine.My first one is almost silent.Thanks

I have got one of those - OK, to be accurate my wife has but I ride it mostly

When we got it it was on offer at £200 off - how could we refuse!
turned out they were getting rid of old stock before a new - but identical looking - version
Ours is the old version with a Bafang motor

It isn;t quiet - and I have had 4 different ebikes - and it does tend to wine a lot, especially at max assist mode. However it has been doing this for several years now and hasn;t broken yet! (he said touching wood!)
What make is your motor?
it may just be a 'feature'
although any advise on how to stop the embarassing wine would be welcome (and NO it is not my wife)

funny thing - I got the battery recelled after I accidentally left it switched on but unused for several months last winter
after that it stopped wining for quite a while - then started again - weird

OP
OP
A

Alfie 1

I have got one of those - OK, to be accurate my wife has but I ride it mostly

When we got it it was on offer at £200 off - how could we refuse!
turned out they were getting rid of old stock before a new - but identical looking - version
Ours is the old version with a Bafang motor

It isn;t quiet - and I have had 4 different ebikes - and it does tend to wine a lot, especially at max assist mode. However it has been doing this for several years now and hasn;t broken yet! (he said touching wood!)
What make is your motor?
it may just be a 'feature'
although any advise on how to stop the embarassing wine would be welcome (and NO it is not my wife)

funny thing - I got the battery recelled after I accidentally left it switched on but unused for several months last winter
after that it stopped wining for quite a while - then started again - weird

This new model has the same make motor as yours,my identical older bike I am not sure as it's in for a service.I Shure that they have put a planetary gear system in the motor hub that wines very loud.So I wonder if they have put a less powerful motor in the hub hoping the gears in the hub will give the same torque.Not the case at all.

This seems to be the motor;

https://www.syimotor.com/products/dgwh2c-dgwh2s-rear-drive-motor-city-bike.html

States 40Nm torque but lists the motor as 36V and 48V compatible so presumably the torque output given is for 48V.

40Nm sounds reasonable but its not down to the motor on its own its down to how much current the controller gives the motor which could be less than the earlier version. Normally because of the smaller wheels hub motors don't need to be as powerful as the bikes are low geared anyway. I've seen some basic 20" wheel ebikes with motors as low as 12/15Nm torque.

Ours has Bafang on it

are they the same - rebadged ro something?

I took the motor reference of the current halfords web site listing which is what the bike is coming with now. I'd say Bafang is a better motor typically but what bike inflation and bike shrinkflation or whatever you call it (reduced quality parts to keep prices lower) then they have moved to a different motor supplier. I remember only a couple of years ago the Crosscity was £649 with a Bafang motor possibly but now is £999 with a likely cheaper motor.

Top Bottom