Carrera Crossfire 2 vs B-Twin Riverside 700

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lunahchic

Hello. I'm looking for a bit of advice please. I'm looking to buy a new bike.I have looked at the Carrera Crossfire 2 from Halfords and the B-Twin Riverside 700 from Decathalon. I will be cycling on roads and some light off roading. No rough mountain biking, not at my age. I'm currently favouring the Riverside 700. Any advice re which bike might be better? I just want something comfy and straight forward. Thank you.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
depends on what you call off road, if its cycle /gravel paths you dont really need suspension as at this price point its just extra weight

Something like this is much better. It has some better components and is cheaper and doesn't have the near pointless Suntour suspension that both the Decathlon and Carrera models have.

https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/ceres/ub-2-2021-hybrid-bike-934557#colcode=93455702

It would be lighter and faster and if you did need more comfort you could fit a suspension seat post which will add more comfort and is lower maintenance. Really though the tyres are very thick and if inflated to the correct pressure for your weight should give a good suspension effect. Unfortunately the bike is only available in two frame sizes as a clearance product but if either is suitable for you I would say a better bike than the other two despite its cheaper price.

OP
OP
L

Lunahchic

Thank you so much bonzobanana. I have had a quick look but will look in more detail tomorrow. It is a bit of a mine field as some people have said that front suspension is good and others have said it's not really necessary unless you are going to be proper mountain biking. But like you say, if you have a good saddle and good tyres then it should be enough.

OP
OP
L

Lunahchic

depends on what you call off road, if its cycle /gravel paths you dont really need suspension as at this price point its just extra weight

Thank you for your advice cyberknight. Another one telling me not to bother with front suspension. I think i need to look at some more bikes then 👍🙂

Thank you for your advice cyberknight. Another one telling me not to bother with front suspension. I think i need to look at some more bikes then 👍🙂
I'll also drop in on the 'no suspension' side. Just extra weight.
Edit: I'll qualify this. If you are only riding on the flat or nearly flat, then it might make little difference. But for me, I like 'em lighter.
There's s plenty who say 'lose a few pounds yourself, rather than worry about a light bike'. But there's no denying that a lighter bike feels better, quite apart from easier to haul around.
Even back in 1986 Richard's New Bicycle Book said, "bikes over 35lb are hard to get moving, bikes under 25lb seem to go down the road by themselves".
Apart from all that, the idea is to buy a bike that puts a smile on your face. That's what really counts.

Last edited:
And another one for saying "ditch the suspension" if simply bimbling about on tarmac or gravel trails.

At that sort of price point, front suspension is more of a hindrance than a help, mainly because it's cheap, heavy and not terribly effective. You'll get a much better ride quality from fitting the right kind of tyres (a nice, wide commuter semi-slick like a Schwalbe Road Cruiser, for instance) and won't be wasting effort trying to counteract a vague and pogoing front end. And you'll get far better bang-for-buck as well.

Suspension tends to be fitted to affordable bikes because it looks cool, not because it's effective. Triumph of marketing, really...

A good number of us on here ride gravel trails and even some fairly gnarly stuff on old-style steel mountain bikes with rigid front forks and fat, squishy tyres with the right pressure for the terrain in hand. :smile: It's the old "not what you got, but how you use it" kind of thing. :blush:

OP
OP
L

Lunahchic

Thank you to all who have commented on my question. I really appreciate it. Looks like i need to start again. I'm a 60 year old lady who just wants a bike that's fun and comfortable to ride. I won't be whizzing through steep muddy or rocky mountain paths but may want to have a leisurely ride through a country park of a gravelly cycle path etc. I tend to ride mostly on the road as i live by the sea and there is nice coastal road. Now i know i don't need a mountain bike or even front suspension i can have a look at some of your suggestions. Many thanks again to all and if you have any other pearls of wisdom i shall be happy to hear from you all.

I would add my voice to the "no suspension" camp but also add that for leisurely rides on a flattish road there's not that much of an advantage to you owning a modern bike. The technology hasn't improved that much and for some uses, it seems to have gone backwards! For what you want to do, I think you would be better served going to a bike recycling project and seeing what they have. Don't worry about different bikes, make sure it looks like it works and you feel comfy on it. Obviously it won't be new but the bike will have been serviced and be fit for use. Don't count on that being the case if you buy a new bike online.

You can have a low step through "ladies" frame if you will find it harder to get your leg over the top tube of the bike, but there's no intrinsic reason to get one unless you want to ride wearing skirts or long coats in which case you'll also need mudguards. You'll also want a rack or a basket because riding is thirsty work and you might want to bring a packed lunch or come shopping. As a kid, I got into bike touring by taking sandwiches and staying out longer. Besides, you might end up liking doing shopping on a bike! I love it! So bear accessories in mind as an extra purchase cost to anything you look at new, and of course a lock.

Speaking of "ladies" bikes - I will never forget the time I sold my much-loved touring bike with drop handlebars and a normal "gents" frame and its new owner came to collect it at the train station probably straight from the office. She was wearing a really, really long tight pencil skirt and high heels. I genuinely thought she wouldn't be able to get on it (it looked hard for her to walk!), but she just hiked up the hem of the skirt to her knees, got on and rode off into the sunset. Oh, to be young!

OP
OP
L

Lunahchic

Thank you Chris667. Love the story about the lady in the pencil skirt 👍😄. I will take my time looking for a bike. I will have a look in some of the smaller cycle shops and see what they've got.

OP
OP
L

Lunahchic

And another one for saying "ditch the suspension" if simply bimbling about on tarmac or gravel trails.

At that sort of price point, front suspension is more of a hindrance than a help, mainly because it's cheap, heavy and not terribly effective. You'll get a much better ride quality from fitting the right kind of tyres (a nice, wide commuter semi-slick like a Schwalbe Road Cruiser, for instance) and won't be wasting effort trying to counteract a vague and pogoing front end. And you'll get far better bang-for-buck as well.

Suspension tends to be fitted to affordable bikes because it looks cool, not because it's effective. Triumph of marketing, really...

A good number of us on here ride gravel trails and even some fairly gnarly stuff on old-style steel mountain bikes with rigid front forks and fat, squishy tyres with the right pressure for the terrain in hand. :smile: It's the old "not what you got, but how you use it" kind of thing. :blush:

Thank you Raynard. I feel like I'm learning a lot here! Looks like i found the right place to ask questions.

Thank you Raynard. I feel like I'm learning a lot here! Looks like i found the right place to ask questions.

YVW :smile:

Can't really help with the actual bike choice, since as a shorter lady I ride junior frames, but if you don't need a bike yesterday, then take your time and find one that fits right and makes you smile.

Don't forget to budget for all those other little gubbins that you may need - helmet, lock, lights, puncture repair kit, mudguards and rack if they don't come fitted, and perhaps a pannier bag to put a fleece, flask and sandwich in. :smile:

Top Bottom