Carrera Crossfire e bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peter4

I bought a new Carrera Crossfire e bike in 2019, I have been pretty pleased with this till the electrics cut out 8 weeks ago. I changed the torque sensor with no difference. Halfords have replaced the chain ring and a new ECU. The bike works but cuts out at 12.5 mph instead of 15.9 mph and the power comes in as it would on the sprint mode, the only mode that seems to work is in the off position. Halfords have said they can do no more. Has anyone any ideas please.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I know it's a Carrera and therefore originally came from Halfords; but in all honesty I wouldn't trust Halfords to pump up my tyres.
Presumably at 3 years old, the bike is out of warranty in any case. I would take it to another bike shop, one which you trust or comes with some good recommendations. It sounds suspiciously like a faulty speed sensor, but I'm afraid I am a bit clueless about the electronic side of bicycles. Where do you live? Someone on here might know of a good LBS near you.

How many recharge cycles has the battery done? Some people use their ebike's almost daily for commuting and could rack up 100s of recharges per year. Could the battery be end of life? It could be the battery is now struggling with some cells not working fully anymore.

Saying that the Suntour HESC ebike system has some common issues related to the torque sensor. Also bear in mind I think the hub motor is non-serviceable as it needs a special tool. So I would limit how much you spend on it. For example if they wanted £300 for a battery pack and the ebike is heavily used anyway I personally think I'd rather put that £300 towards a new ebike or ebike kit. You can get full ebike kits for £400 or less and if you stripped off the ebike components from the bike including the rear wheel they might fetch £150 or more on ebay. You then replace it with the kit you bought which would have less proprietary components and likely a bigger capacity battery pack you would then have much more easily replaced and diagnoseable components.

OP
OP
P

peter4

How many recharge cycles has the battery done? Some people use their ebike's almost daily for commuting and could rack up 100s of recharges per year. Could the battery be end of life? It could be the battery is now struggling with some cells not working fully anymore.

Saying that the Suntour HESC ebike system has some common issues related to the torque sensor. Also bear in mind I think the hub motor is non-serviceable as it needs a special tool. So I would limit how much you spend on it. For example if they wanted £300 for a battery pack and the ebike is heavily used anyway I personally think I'd rather put that £300 towards a new ebike or ebike kit. You can get full ebike kits for £400 or less and if you stripped off the ebike components from the bike including the rear wheel they might fetch £150 or more on ebay. You then replace it with the kit you bought which would have less proprietary components and likely a bigger capacity battery pack you would then have much more easily replaced and diagnoseable components.

I have two batteries for the bike, one has been charged 125 times and the other 32 times, both are working perfectly. When my bike was in Halfords they said they had tied a new motor on it with the same results.

gbb

Legendary Member
I bought a new Carrera Crossfire e bike in 2019, I have been pretty pleased with this till the electrics cut out 8 weeks ago. I changed the torque sensor with no difference. Halfords have replaced the chain ring and a new ECU. The bike works but cuts out at 12.5 mph instead of 15.9 mph and the power comes in as it would on the sprint mode, the only mode that seems to work is in the off position. Halfords have said they can do no more. Has anyone any ideas please.

Not sure which controller they have on the 2019 crossfire but one thing occurs to me....
Was the controller they fitted actually off a crossfire or maybe one of their other bikes with the same system. My thinking is if it was off a bike with a different wheel size, could that be programmed differently , resulting in an incorrect speed ?
Torque sensor, quite sure its mounted properly ?, I know the earlier ones are fiddly
Just thoughts....

Not sure which controller they have on the 2019 crossfire but one thing occurs to me....
Was the controller they fitted actually off a crossfire or maybe one of their other bikes with the same system. My thinking is if it was off a bike with a different wheel size, could that be programmed differently , resulting in an incorrect speed ?
Torque sensor, quite sure its mounted properly ?, I know the earlier ones are fiddly
Just thoughts....

Good thinking - somewhere the number of rotations must be converted into a speed for the cutoff to work
anyone know where this is done or if it can be adjusted?

OP
OP
P

peter4

Good thinking - somewhere the number of rotations must be converted into a speed for the cutoff to work
anyone know where this is done or if it can be adjusted?

I thought about this, but the mileage is as correct as it was earlier, if it was a different rotation then I would have expected a different mileage. As regards to the sensor it is fitted with a brand new crank set and sensor.

I thought about this, but the mileage is as correct as it was earlier, if it was a different rotation then I would have expected a different mileage. As regards to the sensor it is fitted with a brand new crank set and sensor.

Does it display the speed anywhere?
and, obviously, is it correct?

ACtually I'm presuming it doesn't but I just thought it might be worth asking

just been looking at the spec on the Halfords site - which is obviously for the 2022 version

But it says the sensor is a cadence sensor
and you said they have changed the chain ring
so - is the chain ring the same size as the original? and does this affect the cadence sensor?

OP
OP
P

peter4

Does it display the speed anywhere?
and, obviously, is it correct?

ACtually I'm presuming it doesn't but I just thought it might be worth asking

The display does show a correct mph and distance, also the usage of the battery. By the way it never showed any error codes.

OP
OP
P

peter4

just been looking at the spec on the Halfords site - which is obviously for the 2022 version

But it says the sensor is a cadence sensor
and you said they have changed the chain ring
so - is the chain ring the same size as the original? and does this affect the cadence sensor?

The new chain ring and new sensor are identical to what was on originally. The only thing I have not confirmed is the new ECU is the correct part, I only have Halfords word on that.

Top Bottom