Carrera Crossfire / Subway 2 & Bike Frame Size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DoJo91

I am thinking of buying either the Carrera Crossfire 2 or Subway 2 from Halfords. I don't know much about bicycles and was hoping someone could offer some advice or pointers. I mainly want to use the bike for commuting to work and exercise with some off road cycling, but nothing too crazy.

I'm also confused by Halfords bike frame sizing guide. I'm 178cm in height (5'10), which seems to be in between a Medium and Large sized frame for those bikes. In that situation, is it better to go for a larger or smaller frame?

If you think they both suck, i'd love to here some other recommendations. My budget is 400.

vickster

Legendary Member
Generally it’s better to go for the smaller frame but you need to go sit on them as it depends where your height is.
Legs vs torso...eg short legs/long torso larger may feel less cramped, vice versa the reach may be too far which can lead to all sorts of neck/ shoulder/ back/elbow aches and pains. Height is only A starting point for ballpark sizing

Get the Subway, more than capable off road without the cheap heavy suspension of the crossfire :okay:

SGG on a bike

Not sure if it'll be of any use to you and the best advice is go sit on the different sizes, but I have a Carrera road bike in a 54cm frame which fits me perfectly and I'm just a whisker under 6ft. My GT is a med (20inch) and likewise, fits me exceptionally well for comfort. Having sat on and ridden few large frames, I've found them just a little bit too much of a stretch to be totally comfortable.

DRM

Guru
I am thinking of buying either the Carrera Crossfire 2 or Subway 2 from Halfords. I don't know much about bicycles and was hoping someone could offer some advice or pointers. I mainly want to use the bike for commuting to work and exercise with some off road cycling, but nothing too crazy.

I'm also confused by Halfords bike frame sizing guide. I'm 178cm in height (5'10), which seems to be in between a Medium and Large sized frame for those bikes. In that situation, is it better to go for a larger or smaller frame?

If you think they both suck, i'd love to here some other recommendations. My budget is 400.
Best bet is visit Halfords and see them in the flesh, sit on them and see how they feel, are you stretched out, hunched up, it'll at least give you an idea of size, and whether or not they feel right, you may see something else that'll be better for you.

david k

Hi

I had a subway 2 and loved it. Wife had the crossfire and although it looked good was very slow in comparison

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A bike that is too small can be made bigger by adjustment or cheap component changes.

Not much can be done with a bike that is too big, so if you are in any doubt go for the smaller one.

The Subway 2 appears to be a discontinued line, but would be a perfectly good buy if your local branch has one in your size.

Carrera is Halfords only, but your local bike shop may have a similar spec bike from another brand.

For example, my local bike shop sells GTs as their budget brand.

The Transeo looks decent for the money, not especially better, but some bikes are in short supply so might be worth looking at if you can't get a Subway.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.GT-Transeo...MIjMGV5J-76wIVSrTtCh0oAw5ZEAQYASABEgLSzfD_BwE

Top Bottom