Carrera vengeance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Raymond Williams

I recently bought a second hand carrera vengeance ebike,the priveous owner did say it had a intermittent fault ,the bike seems to ride lovely then all of a sudden the motor starts making a humming noise and there's no drive,I've tried switching off the battery and then power on again sometimes there's a clang noise and all seems well again,I've ridden 20 plus miles with out any issues then all of a sudden I.lose drive, any ideas on how to fix this issue would be very much appreciate 😀

Where does the clang come from - if it is the motor then I would suggest something in the motor is loose
you could take it to Halfords and see what they would charge to fix it
or you could try a local biek shop and see if they deal with ebikes and see if they could help

It might be a simple "take it apart and put it together properly" fix so maybe try it yourself

Worst case for a hub motor system would be getting a new motor - or getting a secondhand one which was damage another way and has a working motor

anyway - Good luck

I think the issue with such Carrera's is the ebike components are proprietary in this case Suntour HESC so not as easy to get parts for. However a huge amount of ebikes have been sold by Halfords with the Suntour HESC drive system so s/hand parts should be available. Sounds like a hub motor issue or possibly even a controller issue if that is not controlling the hub motor correctly, maybe even a intermittant connection. One of the common issues is a fault with the bottom bracket torque sensor but your fault doesn't sound like that, that is more of a cutting out issue without mechanical noises I think. I would definitely ask a few bike mechanics in Halfords about it. Some can be very helpful. I know from experience they have stated that often repairing such ebikes means pulling off components from new ebikes in stock to repair customers ebikes under warranty and then fitting the new components when they finally come to their stock bikes.

At this point its all about information gathering so you can make an informed decision about what to do next. Maybe you can find a Suntour HESC service manual online somewhere.

Drago

Legendary Member
The clanging bit sounds mechanical, and the only mechanical part of the HESC or HESC+ systems is the motor itself. They're generally very robust, but the odd one failing isn't unheard of.

New spares can be hard to come by, but used spares are plentiful.

Top Bottom