Carrying an SLR camera on a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
aberal

aberal

Guru
Fixedwheelnut said:
No my custom Ron Cooper now has a short wheelbase bent top tube down tube and forks, I have two broken fingers and bruises every where else.

see here [not while eating]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fixedwheelnut/sets/72157614310206838/

Ouch! Looks not nice.... :ohmy: Look after yourself, mate. When I dropped my bike a few years back I only had minor cuts and bruises but it took me took me weeks to get over the trauma.

Jonathan M

If I need to carry my DSLR off the beaten track, I use CCS pouches for the camera & 1 extra lens and store these loose in a Berghaus rucsac..

I've not used the Lowepro stuff but one of the 'togs at work uses it for his personal camera kit - a couple of thousand ££s worth of stuff which he will use sometimes in preference to what work have provided, so if he trusts it, I wouldn't doubt it's worth.

As an aside for boggo photography on the bike I use an Olympus Mju SW, shock & waterproof, I've proved to myself that both these functions work - sinking a canadian canoe in Derwent Water and swimming back to shore tested the waterproofing, ghyll scrambling tested the shock proofing!

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Fixedwheelnut said:
Have to vote for the Lowepro Slingshot 200 here, I was wearing mine last Monday with my Canon 400D and a Tamron lense in the bag and knocked off on the way home doing about 20mph, I flew over the bonnet and landed fifteen feet down the road, all my camera gear has survived and only a small scuff on the bag and I rolled a few times on landing.
Shame my cycling kit wasn't made of the same material
Ouch - that's going to be expensive for someone's insurance... those Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III bodies are not cheap, and the EF 70-200mm F2.8 L USM lenses are a bob or two to replace too!! :tongue: :laugh:;)

jimboalee

You should tape it to the top of your helmet and fit a 'cable release'.

Any nasty motorist can be snapped with a grab of the cable release.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
I have a Canon 500d which I bought with a padded camera bag for off the bike use, although I made sure it was a size that fits neatly into a Carradice bar bag for my tours. Personally I prefer the camera in the bar bag as apposed to a rack bag, in part for quick access, but also the bar bag is suspended from the bars as apposed to being supported on the pannier rack, lessening the impact of road shock.

4255865013_890cd5cb60_o.jpg

2817796028_bac6e5b81f_o.jpg

4256620048_27ce04fec4_o.jpg

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

Top Bottom