Cars are rubbish!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Snow tyres aren't cheap when you consider that you only need them about 2-3 weeks a year.

I agree with SheffieldTyger - most of the sliding around could be resolved with drivers understanding the basic physics involved with a car.

Nowt like shaking ur head at a neighbour whose front wheels are spinning. What does he do? He revs more thinking that'll get him out.

As Easy As Riding A Bike

The rubber used in 'standard' tyres becomes hard at low temperatures. That is the main reason these tyres don't grip on snow and ice.

One of the primary features of snow tyres (beyond their slightly smaller tread area) is the fact they are composed of a softer compound, which keeps them supple (and hence grippy) on snow.

As Easy As Riding A Bike

Snow tyres aren't cheap when you consider that you only need them about 2-3 weeks a year.

Then factor in the labour cost of installing and re-installing 'em

Granted they are an additional cost.

But how expensive is it when hundreds of thousands of people, if not more, can't drive anywhere for those three weeks? That's got to have a pretty significant impact on the economy.

[P.S. I would add that if people are prepared to pay a mechanic to change the wheels on their car, rather than changing them themselves, that's their own problem]

subaqua

What’s the point

But how expensive is it when hundreds of thousands of people, if not more, can't drive anywhere for those three weeks? That's got to have a pretty significant impact on the economy.

[P.S. I would add that if people are prepared to pay a mechanic to change the wheels on their car, rather than changing them themselves, that's their own problem]

now you start adding up the cost. thats new wheels as well as snow tyres to buy.

changing tyres isn't dear its about £20 a wheel with balancing. a set of full on snow tyres on the car would last a few winters

I would be looking at £1500 for new rims for my car plus another £600 for tyres. It isn't worth it when the M&S rated ones on the Jeep work fine

twowheelsgood

From here in Switzerland I can quite categorically tell you snow tyres are not a legal requirement. Your insurance may choose to only cover you third party though in the event of an accident.

I changed on to mine the other week and in snow they help (hence the name I guess). On sheet ice they won't make a blind bit of difference, you'll need studs or chains.

Actually more of a difference in my opinion is having narrower tyres, 2CVs are apparently quite good in snow, as it front drive (engine over the wheels for traction and you can "stear" the power). The 265 section tyres of my old BMW, coupled with rear drive and quite a lot of horsepower was almost suicidal to drive in the snow. Might as well have attatched 4 snowboards.

fimm

Veteran
My boyfriend is from Austria and there it is a legal requirement to fit winter tyres (on November 1st IIRC). He is always highly amused by this country's complete inability to deal with snow...

2CVs are brilliant in the snow. Part of the fun - actually, most of the fun - is the fact that no one expects them to be any good at all.

I've got a 4x4, but in an entirely typical move I chose to put it in for its MOT yesterday and am having to go to work in Ms RT's Citroen ZX. But driving in snow is much more about technique than how many wheels are driven or what tyres you've got.

A set of winter tyres on some old spare set of hubs would be handy, then you can change them yourself at home - how long will winter rubber last though in years?

I think people might be confusing snow tyres and winter tyres.

I fitted winter tyres to my 335i 2 weeks ago (before prices shot up). Also went down to 17" rims. Absolutely brilliant in this cold weather. They will be staying on until daytime temps are back above 8 degrees. Doesn't cost any more as the posh summer tyres are in the garage not getting worn out.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I reversed up the hill to the top and travelled mainly fresh snow over the top road back home, leaving the backwards-cap-wearing numpties spinning away

Reminds me of a time when I owned a 1988 Nissan micra, trying to get to Coombe down in Bath, from Bristol via lansdown one very snowy day in 2000/2001 . I passed a lot of abandoned vehicles, on the way there and the same on the way back again, I can only think the weight or lack of it was the the thing that helped here.

Top Bottom