Cartridge Brake Pads.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikeman66

Hi all,

Only a couple of weeks until I'm off down to Avignon for a week of riding in Provence and the southern end of the Alps. With lots of climbing in prospect, there'll obviously be a lot of descending to relish too.

Although the brake pads/blocks on my bike are not seriously worn, I 'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to take a spare set with me, just in case.

I have a Felt F95 with non-branded brake calipers, but with cartridge type pads. The calipers themselves look similar to the Tektro ones on my son's bike. My question is, will any cartridge type pad fit the calipers, or do specific makes need specific pads?

Any recommendations from you guys on fairly durable but well performing pads would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance for any tips you can give me.

MikeW-71

Veteran
I think cartridge pads will fit all carriers, but I've not had to change any yet.

Otherwise, these are good:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/clarks-road-caliper-brake-pads-and-spare-inserts/

There are two types - Shimano and the rest and....Campagnolo. The latter even has two of its own standards Pre-2000 and Post 2000.

In other words, anything not marked Campagnolo will fit. But, if you are unsure, why not buy the entire shoe and pad as spare? The Tektro shoes are great Shimano Dura Ace copies and will future proof you with pads. Alternatively, get a pair of KoolStop Eagle Claw threaded mount (salmon coloured) pads that will fit anything from tractors to skate boards.

OP
OP
bikeman66

bikeman66

There are two types - Shimano and the rest and....Campagnolo. The latter even has two of its own standards Pre-2000 and Post 2000.

In other words, anything not marked Campagnolo will fit. But, if you are unsure, why not buy the entire shoe and pad as spare? The Tektro shoes are great Shimano Dura Ace copies and will future proof you with pads. Alternatively, get a pair of KoolStop Eagle Claw threaded mount (salmon coloured) pads that will fit anything from tractors to skate boards.
Great advice once again Yellow Saddle. Thanks.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I think cartridge pads will fit all carriers, but I've not had to change any yet.

Otherwise, these are good:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/clarks-road-caliper-brake-pads-and-spare-inserts/
I have the V brake version of these, I agree they're good and work well in wet & dry and manage my long draggy descents & short sharp shock hills quite happily.

I think they are specific to the holder as the ones I use have a cotter pin & groove in the back of the block arrangement that can be quite fiddly to get just so when switching pads over.

Top Bottom