Cassette change.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mick160

ok, quick question. Well 2 actually.

If I want to change my cassette from a ultegra 6800 11-28 to a 11-32 do I need to replace the chain for a longer one?

Secondly, if I make this change will I notice much difference?

Background; relative newby (amost a year on and off). I cycle for leisure/fitness on a Giant Defy. Been looking at a few routes with a bit more climbing than I am used to and worry about managing the hills.

Any advice/opinions gratefully received.

If you're changing the cassette always replace the chain at the same time, it will probably need to be one or two links longer. However, a 32 tooth cog might require a new rd, if you have a short cage one. I have a 30 tooth cassette on my short cage Rd with no problems so maybe try that first. It's also on a defy.

ok, quick question. Well 2 actually.

If I want to change my cassette from a ultegra 6800 11-28 to a 11-32 do I need to replace the chain for a longer one?

Secondly, if I make this change will I notice much difference?

Background; relative newby (amost a year on and off). I cycle for leisure/fitness on a Giant Defy. Been looking at a few routes with a bit more climbing than I am used to and worry about managing the hills.

Any advice/opinions gratefully received.

You may need a longer chain, if you move from a 28 to a 32 big sprocket. If the cage length of your rear mech isn't sufficient, you run the risk of dragging it into the spokes, this is never good. You didn't say which Chain rings you are running. I currently run a 50-34 up front, with an 11-28 cassette, on one of my bikes, I've not had any problems getting up the worst hills I've found, without getting into mountain passes, you'd probably be okay just going up to a 30 tooth big sprocket, 32 would be overkill, unless you are going looking for mountain passes.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
You will definitely notice the difference going uphill.

If the chain is newish you maybe able to add some links if been used for a while better to change both together.

Try it and see with rear derailleur so long as you can adjust the b screw so it clears everythibg and its not fully extending the derailleur it will be ok.if not you will need a longer cage derailleur as well or damage could occur.

shadow master

Chains and cassettes should be changed together anyway,your rear mech will handle up to 30t being a short cage type, but not 32t,change to 11\30t is the most economical way,unless your off to the Alps!

Joffey

Big Dosser
I changed from a 28 to a 30 and noticed the difference, certainly helped me up a few of the 100 Greatest Climbs. I haven't lengthened my chain though, I just don't use the big ring and my 30 cassette cog. LBS said that would be fine. You shouldn't be crossing them over anyways.

Best thing I did though to get better at hills was to recce the hill first (if it's a biggie), manage my effort at the start (not going out to hard) and I also lost 2.5 stone which helped!!! Gears are part of the answer, going up more and more hills to get better is also part of the answer. Don't fret it1

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The chain has to be long enough to go round big crank and big cog without stress.

If not you only need to get it wrong once (possibly when tired and in the dark) and you could even snap the frame.

OP
OP
mick160

mick160

Ok, thanks people - plenty to take into consideration there.

[QUOTE 3895912, member: 9609"]32 compared to 28 is about 14% so is typical of having an extra gear (my 7 speed cassette is about 14% easier on each change down)

depends on the length of your chain now - if you have a reasonable play when on big to big now then it should be fine, if it is already a little tight try an extra link.

where abouts in northumberland are you ?[/QUOTE]

I am in Cramlington. I took on the Ryals a couple of weeks back and was forced to a stop near the top of the first one. Mind it was into a 25mph headwind too!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't 32s only come as a chainring. :tongue:

Karlt

Should see the MTB I saw in our LBS the other day. I swear if the rear sprockets get much larger they'll start fouling the ground on tight RH bends. Single chainring as well and that was tiny. God alone knows how you'd stay upright in the lowest gear!

bykeshed

Owner @ Byke Shed Ltd
You'll need a few extra links. You should always get a new chain with a new cassette and most new chains come too long as standard, to be shortened to suit by the buyer/rider.

Top Bottom