Cassette Conundrum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Quick question to anyone who fancies it re: my Raleigh Record Sprint.

Long story short but the gearing is a little harsh for me at the moment with an 8 speed 12-23 cassette on.

I don't want to do any more than just change the cassette ATM. So given that after cold setting the frame the bike now has modern wheels and an 8 speed 105 rear mech, would either this ROAD or this MTB* cassette be OK to ease the gearing a little?

*the MTB one would be either 12-28 or 12-30 as I doubt 12-30 would work with the rear mech, but I'm happy to be told otherwise.

Last edited:

Cyclist33

An 8 speed 12-12 cassette?? How many teeth do the middle cogs have?!

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
I would imagine it should work ok I'm guessing your crank is 42/52, a short cage is generally for double chainset, medium cage is for triples, If you order a cassette from CRC try it on your bike to see if it works, if it doesn't send it back, they do free returns:thumbsup:

sittingbull

Veteran
I'm running 3 x 8 with 52/42/30 and the above SRAM 12/26 cassette.

Unless I'm really testing myself I struggle on some (16%) hills on the middle ring, hence need to drop to the 30 (granny).

I could be wrong but assume you're running 52/42 rings, as I am on a Raleigh of the same era, in which case you might find the 26 cog inadequate and the MTB 30 cog more suitable, albeit with more of a jump between shifts.

From memory your rear mech should be stamped GS (long cage) or SS (short cage), GS would be good, I doubt SS would work on the 30 cog cassette.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
From memory your rear mech should be stamped GS (long cage) or SS (short cage), GS would be good, I doubt SS would work on the 30 cog cassette.
The mech is like this one

$_35.JPG

I'll have a look tomorrow for any markings but I suspect it's a standard short cage version.

sittingbull

Veteran
The later short cage mechs (eg 5700) will handle a larger cassette cog.

With the earlier ones like yours it's not just a case of taking up the extra chain length but I think the jockey wheels may actually foul the 30 tooth cog, even with the "B tension screw" correctly set.

Top Bottom