Cassette rebuilding - how hard is it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Manonabike

Über Member
I have a chain slipping on 4 sprockets. The chain is brand new and it seems I used the old chain beyond the point it was safe and now it seems 4 sprockets are damaged.

I know that cassettes are not terribly expensive, however, I have read about some people here rebuilding cassettes and that interest me.

The sprockets that I need to change are fixed (one solid cluster) Do I need special tools to take the cassette apart? What information I need to order the new sprockets (besides the number of teeth)?

Any information on cassette rebuilding is welcome.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I have a chain slipping on 4 sprockets. The chain is brand new and it seems I used the old chain beyond the point it was safe and now it seems 4 sprockets are damaged.

I know that cassettes are not terribly expensive, however, I have read about some people here rebuilding cassettes and that interest me.

The sprockets that I need to change are fixed (one solid cluster) Do I need special tools to take the cassette apart? What information I need to order the new sprockets (besides the number of teeth)?

Any information on cassette rebuilding is welcome.

I think that you will find that folk that have rebuild cassettes will have combined the bits from several cassettes that they already have in their possession.

It isn't cost effective.

For a rebuildable cassette system have a look at this.

£70 for the cassette and set of sprockets. The £5 a sprocket for the rebuilds.

Christopher

Über Member
another thing to consider when using index systems is that the spacing between cogs must be the same throughout the block otherwise it won't shift properly. It can be a nightmare if using cogs from different makers, and of course they all have to have the same spline pattern (Shimano or Campag).

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
Vernon, thanks for the link. It looks like the idea is not cost effective. I was thinking that I always damage the same sprockets and maybe rebuilding the cassette was a good option. At those prices I think it would cost less to buy a new cassette :biggrin:

My cassette is riveted so I guess it's more complicated than a bolted one.

Thanks everybody for your information, much appreciated.

Top Bottom