Cassette size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazyfatgit

I don't think you'll need to change the chain or cage. You will already have a 23ish cog in the current cassette, and your not making the 12 smaller, so there won't be any extra chain to take up.

no doubt someone who actually knows will be along shortly.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
It'll be fine. A purist would perhaps remove 2 links, but it's not worth the effort IMHO. Cage length only comes into play if you're swapping from a double to a triple, where you need the extra cage length to wrap a lot of chain.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Just so's you know, I just received a cassette that had been on order for some time (had to come from Japan as was out of stock in the UK). The expected price was about £30 but it ended up as £62 as prices have gone up so much in Japan due to credit crunch. Ouch!

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I looked so traumatised they gave me 10% off for having to wait so long (over a month). They're a nice LBS and they, too, looked horrified at the price – it had come in the delivery that day and they got it off the delivery note so they weren't making it up. Scary though. What with me needing 3 chains as well it's an expensive business if I break my chain!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
TheDoctor said:
It'll be fine. A purist would perhaps remove 2 links, but it's not worth the effort IMHO.
A cog 3T smaller means that you need 1.5T-worth of chain less to get the same chain tension etc.
The smallest amount you can remove it 2T-worth - one link of inner and outer plates, so there's a very remote chance that shortening the chain could leave it too short.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Yes, but a 3/32 half link requires a bit of looking for, and it's not worth it for something that's not going to make any difference at all.
I mentioned it to restrain the OP from taking out 2 full links in a fit of keenness.

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Cheers folk. Since I don't need to alter things I'll make the experiment. It will make things a bit harder on the climbs but I've got a tripple (and a rarely used granny) so it should be ok, I think the closer spaced gearing will be more beneficial on a club run when chain ganging.

Top Bottom