Cassette sprockets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

astrocan

Veteran
As he insists on only using the highest gear available, my teenage son has worn out the 7th, 8th and 9th sprockets on his cassette whilst leaving the rest virtually untouched. As the last two or three sprockets are not riveted together, is it possible to get replacement sprockets rather that a whole new casette and where would I start looking. Tried Wiggle and WHS but no joy.

AlanW

Guru
As he insists on only using the highest gear available, my teenage son has worn out the 7th, 8th and 9th sprockets on his cassette whilst leaving the rest virtually untouched. As the last two or three sprockets are not riveted together, is it possible to get replacement sprockets rather that a whole new casette and where would I start looking. Tried Wiggle and WHS but no joy.

As annoying as it may seem, sadly the answer is no.

Many years ago you could, you could go into your LBS and there would be a selection of sprockets on a peg board and you could either make up your own ratio, or just replace your worn out ones.

Then someone in marketing must have sussed that they were actually loosing money by allowing people just to replace one or two sprockets at a time, when they could sell you complete cassette.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
What you need to do is sort your gearing such that you never use the top 3 sprockets.
Then, when your son knacks his top three sprockets, you can put your unused ones on and charge him for a whole new cassette.
If you charge him for Dura-Ace cassettes, but actually fit Sora one, you could be on a nice little earner!!!
Something tells me I've thought about this wayyyyyyyy too much...
whistling.gif

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

Why bother? - cassettes are cheap enough. I suspect that the cost of sprockets (if available) would be equal to if not more than a complete cassette.

Me things it will not be long before he will need a new bottom bracket set of bearings then..LOL

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I've got a bag of random sprockets (mostly smallish ones) that might fit your need. PM me and let me know what sizes you're after and maybe we can do a deal.

Oh, and you can swap out any of the sprockets, not just the top three. Just drill the rivet heads off. Once the lockring is on, the rivets do nothing anyway.

Top Bottom