Cassette wear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wakou

Über Member
Hi guys, is there a way to know when a cassette needs replacing? Would a worn BB accelerate wear on cassette/chain/chainrings?

martint235

Dog on a bike
Not sure about the worn BB? How do you know it's worn?

As to the cassette, it's more to do with when the chain needs replacing as far as I know. Once the chain is worn to a certain point both it and the cassette will need changing. I tend to get around 4000 - 5000 miles out of a chain at the moment.

mattsccm

Chains generally wear first. Get a measuring tool or check Sheldon Brown. If your chain is screwed then the cassette is as well. But like many of us you can keep running them unitl they become too annoying to put up with.

If the cassette cogs look like shark fins, it needs replacing. It they have flat tops, you should be ok for a bit longer.

OP
OP
wakou

wakou

Über Member
Thanks guys, My LBS recommended replacing chain + cassette. I have measured the chain with a vernier and seems not to be stretched by much, if at all. The BB 'wiggles' slightly if you grab it and push/pull, but there is no noticeable graunch/grind when in use.
I was going to have a bit of a fettle today, I'll take some piccies!

byegad

Legendary Member
BBs shouldn't wiggle. Replace it. It won't have caused wear to the chainrings or cassette but by the time the BB wears out you should have replaced the chain, possibly more than once.

I use a Park Go/No go chain checker and replace the chain when the 0.75% side goes in. The cassette and chainrings will not need changing at this time, at least not the first couple of times. However, if, due to my inattention, it gets to the point that the 1% goes then the cassette and possibly some chain rings will need to be replaced.

Another sure sign of need for new cassette is that you've replaced the chain and the new one skips on one or more gear. That's an immediate cassette or chainring replacement depending on what skips.

Top Bottom