Cassettes on Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thomk

Guru
I fear this might be a stupid question but since I am fairly anonymous on here...
I'm getting a spare (good) set of wheels and wondered whether people changed cassettes when they changed wheels or permanently had a cassette on each rear wheel?

lejogger

Guru
I fear this might be a stupid question but since I am fairly anonymous on here...
I'm getting a spare (good) set of wheels and wondered whether people changed cassettes when they changed wheels or permanently had a cassette on each rear wheel?
It's entirely up to you. Depends what your wheels are for, you might want different ratios for different wheelsets, or you might just want the ease not not having to swap the cassette over.

I.e. a through block for time trialling on aero wheels, and a broader range cassette for hilly rides on a lightweight set.

It's a two minute job to swap it over though so there's no real problem with that. The only thing you need to bear in mind is that you'll want a separate chain for each cassette.

Depends, when I got the last set new I did put a new cassette/chain on it but when I borrowed a bike recently and transferred the new wheel to that, I used their existing cassette off the original wheels rather than fit a new chain as they told me it was quite new.

byegad

Legendary Member
Changing a cassette is easy enough with the right tools, so entirely personal choice. I have a cassette on each wheel, but would happily do it the other way.

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
Just ordered a new cassette and chain - only £25 all in. It's worth it to me as I'll change the wheels every week and don't want to be faffing around.

lejogger

Guru
Just ordered a new cassette and chain - only £25 all in. It's worth it to me as I'll change the wheels every week and don't want to be faffing around.
FWIW I would do the same.

What sort if chain is it? You'll want the reusable links I.e the KMC ones, and the tool to unclip it comes in very handy as they can be a bit stiff.

lejogger

Guru
My KMC x10 SL arrived (with some tangfastics) yesterday :smile:

New cassette is here too...

Just need to decide before installation whether to strip and blitz clean the old rear mech or treat myself to a shiny new one (part of 'Project Incremental Upgrade' - old mech 4 years old)

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
Ordered my chain from Merlin. No tangfastics for me I fear :cry:

Top Bottom