Castelli Jacket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Looking to get some Bib Tights and settled on the Castelli Sorpasso's. I just cant decide on the jacket!

I am fancying either the Castelli Mortirolo Due or the Castelli Poggio. The reason being is that they are supposed to be great kit and that I have seen them in the sale about £60 cheaper than RRP and am more prepared to spend that amount than the full price.

I wont be riding much at sub 6 degrees right now, so either of these would be suitable, with the option of a base layer as and when I do venture out in colder weather.

Any advice on which to choose? Any other suggestions from the Castelli range or indeed otherwise?

Cheers...

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Try any of the Castelli clothing on before buying, I find them a very small snug fit for my build

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Cheers for the advice. My other gear is all Medium, so planning to order Large for this kit and go from there. It's difficult to find any Castelli kit on the self locally to try on. I can always send it back when ordering online and swap sizes. That's my plan anyway.

Any advice on which one though?

mattobrien

Guru
My staple item over the winter has been the Transparente Due WS Jersey. I have worn this with a decent base layer from about 6 degrees and will wear it up to the point where I go short sleeve at around 16 degrees. I have a Espresso jacket for cold rides, but I haven't had to wear it much this winter.

It is more like a very versatile jersey / jacket than a standard LS jersey. I like this so much I have two of them.

If you keep an eye out you may find them heavily discounted, especially as we move into spring.

zizou

Veteran
Depends on the type of riding you intend to do but for me this winter the Gabba has been the ideal bit of kit.

The short sleeve with warm long sleeve baselayer and arm warmers has done me good down to about 2 or 3 degres and i think will be good for double figures too with different layering (this is just theoretical so far havent riden in any double figure days since i got it!) . While its not waterproof it is shower proof and keeps you warm when wet.

I wouldnt however wear it for an easy ride on a cold day and if its pouring with rain i'll put a waterproof on top but it comes into its own when you are working hard and it is dry or there are showers about.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
The Poggio appears to be a Jacket cut version of the Poggio, which leaves more options for base layers according to their website.

The Gabba stuff looks amazing. Not cheap, but impressive. Not seen so much on sale mind you.

Took this screen grab of the comparison table. Hopefully will show ok as done from iPhone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 210

Helidoc

Evans have stock in store that is sold out on the website. I managed to get a Trasparente for £99 from the Liverpool store that had every size. I have the Mortirolo which is fantastic for winter and the period either side. I am about to switch to the Trasparente as it is as the current temp is at the top end of the Mortirolo's range, especially on climbs. I think the Poggio is more like a jacket version of the Trasparente, and with Windstopper on the body it is a bit like wearing a gilet with a jacket. The Poggio doesn't have vents, and I find these very useful on the Mortirolo.

For sizing I would go with an accurate chest measurement and the Castelli chart, that certainly works for me.

With Castelli always one size up. I am a medium in all clothes but always a large in anything Castelli. Great kit though. I would also recommend Gore.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Cheers for the heads up guys. I managed to get the Mortirolo from Tredz, which is local for me, and got it for £101. It was the vents that swayed me as it happens.

They only had Large, hence happy to discount at end of season. Picking up tomorrow or Wednesday. Don't mind not getting loads of use right now as will still come in handy later on anyway.

Going to grab the Sorpasso Bib Tights soon too.

This weather won't last either methinks!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Castelli tell you the temp ratings for all of their kit on their own website.

With Castelli always one size up. I am a medium in all clothes but always a large in anything Castelli. Great kit though. I would also recommend Gore.

Depends on your build, I follow their size guides and the kit fits. I am tall and thin.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Yup. Saw that on same PDF as the above comparison table. Cheers for the heads up though.

I went for the Mortirolo Due, in Black and White and got it for £101 all in. Happy with that.

Got a Large, but not 100% on whether it's too big or not. Are jackets supposed to fit ultra tightly or are they slightly looser than a Jersey would be? Or is it personal taste. It's not hugely big on me, but slightly loose. The neck, for example, does have an air gap. Not tried sitting on bike yet, but have assumed the position. :smile:

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Forget the above. Got out for 34 miles today. Was nippy leaving the house, so wore a thin summer jersey underneath. Jacket is superb in fairness!

Fair bit of wind, and the front let none of it through, as promised, whilst plenty cool with the rear breathability. Could have done without the jersey later into the ride, but wasn't a major deal with the front vents zipped down. :smile:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Yup. Saw that on same PDF as the above comparison table. Cheers for the heads up though.

I went for the Mortirolo Due, in Black and White and got it for £101 all in. Happy with that.

Got a Large, but not 100% on whether it's too big or not. Are jackets supposed to fit ultra tightly or are they slightly looser than a Jersey would be? Or is it personal taste. It's not hugely big on me, but slightly loose. The neck, for example, does have an air gap. Not tried sitting on bike yet, but have assumed the position. :smile:

Jackets are usually cut a little more generously than a jersey, to accommodate the fact you will be wearing them on top of other layers.

Top Bottom