Cateye H34 flex tight bracket any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theoriginaldus

Hi guys,

I have just bought a cateye EL-450 front light and, tbh the bracket that comes as standard is absolutely shocking. It's forever loosening off and the light just ends up bouncing around on the handlebars...not ideal.

So I want to try out the H34 flex tight bracket which is advertised to work with the light, however I havent read amazing things about this either and it looks like some people have had just as many problems getting this bracket to stay tight. Does any one have any experience of this bracket and can comment on its effectiveness?

It also looks possible that the H30 quick release bracket may fit this light also but Im not totally sure on that one. If it does I think it could be more reliable, any thoughts?

Cheers

Jon

ghitchen

Jon,

The standard mount is the H35 which many other people have also said is rubbish.

The H34 Flex-Tight will work with this light and is better than the H35, however in my experience the H34 is not as good as the H31 or H32 (both QR mount, only difference is handlebar size, H31 for 28-32mm, H32 for 22-26mm) .

I have two H32s on my commuter and they never move, the QR lever provides good leverage for tightening. The H34 I use on my winter road bike and it is more difficult to tighten the small round wheel.

The H34 does have the advantage of fitting any handlebar size, whereas the QR version is size specific.

Note that I have not tried the H31 or 32 with the EL450, but my EL530 fits both H31 and H34.

Gary

Will1985

Über Member
Flextight mounts are rubbish in my opinion. I've got H31s (spare Catye mounts easily bought from cyclestore).

The EL-4xx lights have those poor straps to mount. I have a 410 for my helmet and as a flashing backup carried in my bag. I found that the trick to it staying tight is to not put the strap back through the lever tab.

If you want an H-34, let me know because I have several which I've never used.

LondonCommuter

I've found the standard cateye brackets a problem unless you can use the thinnest part of the handlebar. If you have bars where the width tapers (as I have on my commuter) then if you try mounting on a thicker part, no amount of tightening will stop it sliding to the thinner part.

OP
OP
T

theoriginaldus

I cant say I really understand why cateye changed the bracket from the EL410, I used this light for the longest time and never had these kind of problems, but this bracket was questionable even from the first ride and is unusable now after just a few rides. The problem appears to be that there is just too much space between the lever and main body of the bracket once the lever is down - I can easily pull the strap through with just my hand, with or without the strap fed back through the lever and tightening at the thin end of the handlebar doesnt seem to work either, a couple of bumps and the light is lose again :ohmy:

Thanks for the offer of the H34 Will, but I think I'm going to go for the H32, havent heard anyone having problems with this one yet :ohmy:

OP
OP
T

theoriginaldus

Ok, so I ordered an H32 bracket on the net which came the other day, but it didn't fit the light :tongue: So I went out yesterday to get a replacement from a local bike shop which they thought should fit. Got it back to try on the light - it was an H32, it didn't fit. I was not be defeated, so I went back to the shop again today, and now seemingly the H34 is the only option. Got hold of one of those as a replacement to the H32 from yesterday, and that fits fine but the performance on the handlebars is yet to be seen, although it seemed to do up nice and tight around a screwdriver. Shortly after that the small plastic shaft that allows you to screw the bracket to the light sheared off.

So if you see someone riding home tonight with a front light held together with super glue, velcro and cable ties, and the light is flopping around on the handlebars, it's me ;)

Not the best light I have ever bought

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
What's wrong with the H34? You can always put a bit of plastic padding or something in it. Yes it comes undone, but so does just about every other cateye mount. The annoying thing about the h34 to me is that screw comes undone over a few weeks and then your light starts to nod up and down. So you have to tighten the screw regularly. Other than that tis all right.

OP
OP
T

theoriginaldus

I hope it will be fine, the one that originally was shocking was the bracket that came with the light originally which I am informed is the H35, just a few people said the H34 wasn't there favorite bracket either, keeping my fingers crossed though ;)

ghitchen

theoriginaldus said:
Ok, so I ordered an H32 bracket on the net which came the other day, but it didn't fit the light ;) So I went out yesterday to get a replacement from a local bike shop which they thought should fit. Got it back to try on the light - it was an H32, it didn't fit.

Seems really strange that they make some lights that fit the H31, 32 & 34 and some that only fit the H34.

Will1985

Über Member
The EL-4xx have small bodies and a smaller mount which fits inside of the H34 whereas the larger ones fit outside.

I've pulled apart an H31 and H34 to see if anything can be bodged.

OP
OP
T

theoriginaldus

Well for those that may come to this thread wondering about the H34 bracket, I've had a week if riding with it now, and tbh I like it. Does up nice and tight, and hasn't even begun to threaten coming lose yet. So in my book, comes with a thumbs up at this point :tongue:

Top Bottom