Cateye Velo8

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimbut

Have bike computer as per title. The unit nearly always stops doing its business in wet conditions ( even fine drizzles ). A good, accurate, reliable computer is in my view a fairly essential bit of kit. Anyone know is this common ? Do people resort to a cling film wrap to alleviate this ? Ta for any good info.

DaveM

Put some vaseline on your computer contacts

OP
OP
J

jimbut

Have you tried that DaveM ? I put some cling film on secured with an elastic band. It tested OK ( using a watering can ). Looks a bit Heath Robinson tho.

That's OK, but it's not perfect. I changed for a Wireless. The Velo 8 is now attached to the rear of the seatpost on my old fixed. Protected from the rain a bit better, and discreet on a classic bike, but impossible to read en route. But it's not failed.

Rhys_Po

Anecdote: My cheapish wireless one has served me well, but goes absolutely apeshit every time I cycle past the Chelsea and Westminster hospital (must be due to all the electromagnetic stuff their equipment is pumping out I suppose), or the American embassy (christ knows what gubbins they've got running).

Anyways, as a result of this, I can now claim a highest speed of 184.8MPH :blush:

DaveM

jimbut said:
Have you tried that DaveM ? I put some cling film on secured with an elastic band. It tested OK ( using a watering can ). Looks a bit Heath Robinson tho.

Yes I have tried with a velo8 that I have had for years and it works even in torrential rain

OP
OP
J

jimbut

Ta very much indeed DaveM. You give me advice my LBS couldn`t provide. I took off the cling film, put a good dab of Vaseline on the contacts, tested with watering can again AND the jobs a bloody good un. I almost look forward to my next ride in the rain ! Ta again. I love this site.

OP
OP
J

jimbut

Lots of wet rides after last post AND the jobs still a good un. Ta very much once more DaveM.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
jimbut said:
Ta very much indeed DaveM. You give me advice my LBS couldn`t provide. I took off the cling film, put a good dab of Vaseline on the contacts, tested with watering can again AND the jobs a bloody good un. I almost look forward to my next ride in the rain ! Ta again. I love this site.

It's when you are cycling that's it's worse with the wind pushing the water between the head unit and the fitting kit so make sure the cling film protects that gap between the two; far less of a problem now that wireless are more common.

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

DaveM

jimbut said:
Lots of wet rides after last post AND the jobs still a good un. Ta very much once more DaveM.

Yeah lots of wet rides I'm so happy (BTW I'm being sarcastic)

Top Bottom