Cavity wall insulation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
The Tories race to the bottom has resulted in house improvement grants, photovolaic and next ground source heat pump grants vanishing next year. I get that the recession intervened, but where is all this heading?
They went before April last year... unless your region has not spent its quota?

Research money and support for PV and solar HW schemes disappeared here in 2017.... small businesses went overnight.

They went before April last year... unless your region has not spent its quota?

Research money and support for PV and solar HW schemes disappeared here in 2017.... small businesses went overnight.
I understand the renewable heat incentive ends next year for all UK.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
The last one we did had to be registered before end of March.

Got one coming through which would benefit so I'll check tomorrow! Thanks, GF!

The last one we did had to be registered before end of March.

Got one coming through which would benefit so I'll check tomorrow! Thanks, GF!
My mistake its the following year:

The RHI is due to end on 31 March 2021. The Government has not announced how it will encourage low carbon heating after 31 March 2021, or the supply chains on which it relies

I live in a 1920s house and called in BG for a quote for cwi but they surveyed the house and said the wouldn't do it because the house has had damp problems in the past and I've had new dpc put in.

I felt vaguely reassured that they turned down the money because they could foresee problems, rather than just going ahead regardless.

Slick

Guru
I live in a 1920s house and called in BG for a quote for cwi but they surveyed the house and said the wouldn't do it because the house has had damp problems in the past and I've had new dpc put in.

I felt vaguely reassured that they turned down the money because they could foresee problems, rather than just going ahead regardless.
Good for them. Too many cowboys would have just done the job but that's what you get when you speak to real professionals.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I thought cavity walls were just introduced to save on bricks?

A 9" wall uses about the same amount as a cavity wall, you still have inner and outer skin.

This changes with modern builds as you often have just an outer brick with timber and plaster board ect

Drago

Legendary Member
Got it at Chez Drago. Brick built bungalow, c.1960. It was there when we bought the house so I cant give a before and after. However, bungalows can be difficult to heat as they have a large external surface area in relation to their volume, and it seems pretty heat efficient. I can whack the heating off and it takes a goodly while for the air temperature to drop 1°C

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I live in a 1030’s flat in a block of four. I am bottom left and exposed to any wind from a south or east direction. Under some scheme which cost us nothing all the flats had the “ cotton wool” type insulation installed. Total disaster and following vociferous complaints it was removed and replaced with polystyrene beads and some sort of binder. Shower of cowboys but the job seems to be ok and again some Scottish Government scheme paid for it. A neighbouring local authority (or social housing ) house has just had the polystyrene fill installed and in addition there is an external cladding about 5 or 6 inches thick being fitted. We await results but since the tenants are respectable local people we should get an accurate assessment.

presta

Guru
I had a quote for cavity insulation years ago. Before taking the plunge I did some digging around, and found that the Cavity Insulation Guarantee Assoc (CIGA) have a well-earned repuitation for being a load of shysters who don't honour the guarantees. There was a debate in parlaiment about it not that long ago. The amount I stand to save on gas pales into insignificance against the potential cost of any remedial work, so I wouldn't touch the stuff with a barge pole.

(AIUI, the big no no for CWI is houses in exposed locations subjected to driving rain)

OP
OP
Davos87

Davos87

Guru
Thanks you so much for all the input, advice and suggestions. Some very technical information too. On balance I’ve been more or less convinced not to proceed with it. House might be a bit nippy in certain parts but have no damp problems etc so will use the money I might save giving it a miss.... to buy a thicker coat. 😂 Cheers.

Top Bottom