Chain & Cassette wear - how soon ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Goo,

As MrPig says, if the old cassette and the old chain combination works, why not stick with that until it starts skipping. That is what I am doing at the moment, and I reckon I still have a reasonable amount of miles left before I need to make the change. I'm hoping it'll last until I get a new bike..... It'll have to last quite a while i fear!:evil:

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
magnatom said:
Goo,

As MrPig says, if the old cassette and the old chain combination works, why not stick with that until it starts skipping. That is what I am doing at the moment, and I reckon I still have a reasonable amount of miles left before I need to make the change. I'm hoping it'll last until I get a new bike..... It'll have to last quite a while i fear!:tongue:

It was skipping a bit on PfS - I think Dayvo was alongside me and witnessed it at one point. Mind you, I suppose I could use it for a while longer and keep the new bits for when they're urgently required..... OTOH - I don't want to start wearing the chainrings down to shark's-teeth again like the MTB.

I'll toss a coin when the new cassette arrives :evil:

Mr Pig

goo_mason said:
It was skipping a bit on PfS

I've never seen a worn transmission skip if all the parts are the same age and worn together, certainly not when the chain is showing as little as 1% wear. Sounds odd, are you sure it's not something else?

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Mr Pig said:
I've never seen a worn transmission skip if all the parts are the same age and worn together, certainly not when the chain is showing as little as 1% wear. Sounds odd, are you sure it's not something else?

Don't think so..... (he says, keeping his fingers crossed as he's rapidly approaching skintness for any extras for the rest of the month :blush:)

I'm going to put the new chain and new cassette on tonight (cassette ordered yesterday, arrived today - thanks, CRC !) and I'll give it plenty of grunt tomorrow to see if I can replicate the same conditions as PfS. If nothing slips, I guess it was just one of those weird things (and probably linked to me putting 15 1/2 stone down on the pedals in a high gear - that's enough to strain even the best of equipment :smile:)

gavb

These mileages seem quite low are we talking mtb or road bikes? Only ask as I cover over 1000 miles a month on my road bike and the same chain and cassette has been going strong for 6 or 7 months now. It's regularly cleaned and oiled and hasn't started slipping yet

dodgy

gavb said:
These mileages seem quite low are we talking mtb or road bikes? Only ask as I cover over 1000 miles a month on my road bike and the same chain and cassette has been going strong for 6 or 7 months now. It's regularly cleaned and oiled and hasn't started slipping yet
Your chain isn't slipping because your cassette and chainrings have worn in sympathy with the worn chain. It's not really a problem, just replace the whole lot when it does start to slip.

Some say it's best to change the chain before it's worn to the extent that it starts to impact on the shape of the cogs/chainrings. I personally do change my chain regularly, but I could just as easily decide to do as you've done.

Dave.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Mr Pig said:
Poor technique mate, that's how you're killing bike parts ;0)
I had a mate who was into body building who rode like that! He was riding ahead of me up a hill once in a huge gear and using brute force to get the cranks round. I shouted to him: "For God's sake use a lower gear or you will..." BANG (sound of his chain exploding under the strain) "...er, totally trash your bike!" :smile:

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

ColinJ said:
I had a mate who was into body building who rode like that! He was riding ahead of me up a hill once in a huge gear and using brute force to get the cranks round. I shouted to him: "For God's sake use a lower gear or you will..." BANG (sound of his chain exploding under the strain) "...er, totally trash your bike!" :evil:

The only body-building I do is eating too many bags of crisps :tongue:
And Magnatom will confirm that I was peching and panting up the hilly bits in the granny gears.... :smile:

My idea of giving it some welly in a high gear is to be cruising along at speed, and then to suddenly have to give it a little burst of acceleration. Nothing as dramatic (or amusing) as your mate The Hulk :tongue::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom