Chain issues...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gus

Hi all!:hello: Newbie alert, so please be gentle...

Just getting back on the bike after a LONG time off - basically starting from scratch, so apologies if this is a stupid question!

While out today, I noticed that my chain was 'jumping' intermittantly (only started today while out and about). Anyhow, once I got home I had a good look at it, and there seemed to be a tight/stiff link in the chain which was causing it. I tried easing the chain from side to side to loosen it up (as described >>Here<<), together with a bit of lube it seems to be a bit better, but still noticeably more stiff than all the others... Looking more closely, I think that the inner link may be very slightly twisted. When riding now it doesn't jump any more, or indeed make any odd clicks etc.

My questions really are:

1. What could have caused this? Do links seize like this for no apparent reason? The bike is a hybrid, only a couple of months old, been pretty well maintained (I think!) and not used in really bad weather. No crashes or damage, used mainly on road and towpaths etc.

2. Is it OK to carry on with things as it stands now that it seems to be running with no problems, or should I consider replacing the chain anyway? Chain is a KMC X9 if that makes any difference...

Thanks in advance for your advice, and sorry if they are stupid questions... I've already gained a lot from reading the forum, and everyone seems very helpful and friendly!:smile:

gbb

Legendary Member
The slightly twisted inner link...maybe or definately ? That'd be very unusual to happen for no reason.
I can only suggest giving the chain a real good visual check over, see if you can find that link and be sure of its condition.
At the end of the day, you've got two ways of looking at it...
If the chain looks ok and you dont punish it (getting out of the saddle up hills, really giving it some), ride steady, it'll maybe/probably be ok.
If you want peace of mind, replace the chain. Its a small price to pay for that peace of mind.

Top Bottom