chain jumping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DavidD

Hi folks
Have fitted new chain and measured it as according to the youtube videos. Its a nine speed chain on a nine speed cassette. Now when I load it up the chain is jumping and trying to skip up gears, refitted the old chain and no problems looking for any ideas wether it be adjustment.or maybe something else.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The cassette is borked by the sound of it.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
how bad was the old chain (stretch wise) when you took it off? also hold many miles has the cassette done. could be worn and skipping as its stretched with the old chain?

OP
OP
D

DavidD

Never checked it for stretch only changed the chain as it wasn't in great condition have changed chain before but still on original cassette.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
2nd change of chain + chaninge cassette by my rule of thumb. You can ttry reindexing the gears first buty I doubt it will help.

As above.

As the chain stretches, the rear cog(s) wear to fit the wider distance between the links on the worn chain.

When you put a new chain on the teeth do not fit the new chain, and will not engage properly. As you put on a load, the tooth cannot hold the chain and it will skip

Top Bottom