chain length - have i been undersold?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GazK

Veteran
Just come to the point of fitting a new chain to my project. It's a touring frame with a 40/52 chains and 11/34 cassette, with a deore long cage Der. I bought a deore chain on fleabay. When I come to fit it, smallest cogs and Der vertical = about 5" gap. Have I been sold a short chain?

Ps will post pic in a minute.

OP
OP
GazK

GazK

Veteran
Here is the promised pic. I have set the der at roughly the position I would expect for small/small on a long cage.

4890101857_84165d9115_b.jpg

davidg

that looks okay, how does it look/work when you are in the 52 and the 34 ...

edit sorry have just looked at the photo properly. didnt notice your thread connection piece.

yeah, I would say the chain is too short!

worth looking to see how it is in 52/34 but would be amazed if you could connect it!

how many links does the chain have?

Genman

You shouldn't use small small in any event, nor big/big so I can't understand why you would want to set your bike up in this way.
Have a look at the link http://tinyurl.com/2tbdy4

I just put that combination on my bike and would say that your chain is too short.

OP
OP
GazK

GazK

Veteran
You shouldn't use small small in any event, nor big/big so I can't understand why you would want to set your bike up in this way.
Have a look at the link http://tinyurl.com/2tbdy4

I just put that combination on my bike and would say that your chain is too short.

I don't have any intention of running big/big - I got as far as threading the chain on, and realised something was amiss. Thanks for the links - according to the equation method, I need 59" of chain - I've actually got 57". Interestingly, the new chain is the same length as the old one I removed from the bike - but then it only had a 14/28 instead of an 11/34, and an old shimano standard der instead of a long cage.

I don't want to keep buying chains and finding them short - is there a standard length "As sold", and if so, what is it?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Chains sellers usually tell of the no. of links and the speed that's it's designed for. They also tell you the biggest rings they're compatible with.

If you're still unsure, I'd buy from an LBS rather than internet as you have recourse if they give you the wrong chain.

Genman

Just buy the longest then shorten as required. Must be cheaper in the long run. 'Scuse pun.

Fiona N

Veteran
You measure chain length by putting the chain on the big ring and big sprocket but bypassing the rear derailleur - when it will comfortably fit around the 'maximal loop' you've got the correct length for when you thread it through the derailleur as normal - and, of course, never run it on large/large in real life :smile:

OP
OP
GazK

GazK

Veteran
Thanks all - I went to LBS who kindly added some links to an SRAM chain to make it up to 60".

BTW, according to park tools you run the chain over both big cogs *and then add 1" (2 half links). I did this and the Der behaves spot on.

Thanks for the tips.

Top Bottom