Chain length issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
The ability to be able to use all gear ratios, full explanation in the very first post on this thread.

As per my post above, current Ultegra has the capacity you need, as does the GRX you quote. There's very little difference between them (39 vs 40).

I think if you want informed advice you need to post:

1. The exact model current RD you have (will be stamped or printed on it somewhere)

2. A picture of your setup in big/big

3. A picture of your setup in little/ little.

You, of course, won't actually ever use either of those in actual riding.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
First of its a GS 6800 Ultegra rear mech, which is the longest version l understand.
However, taking one step back for a moment, l originally had the sub compact chain set and a 11/32 on my Kinesis T3, which l decided was going to be my touring bike now that lve retired. That worked perfectly, every gear was available with no issues at all.

I've recently had my Rourke frame refurbished and refitted the 34/50 chainset and 12/28 cassette, this was going to be my new winter bike.

However, last week l had a change of mind and decided to swap everything over to make my Rourke my new tourer.

As l swapped everything over l also fitted the chain from the Kinesis to the Rourke frame. This was the start of sending me down a rabbit hole.

Cutting a long story short, well shortish, the chain stays are different lengths, which of course makes the chain different lengths to.

I've now fitted a new chain which is a little longer and hey presto l can now get every gear, big/big and little/little with pretty much zero chain slack.

That said, while it changes to the big/big combo it's not a gear l would want to utilize. But at least l know that it can be selected without the chance of snapping the chain.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
First of its a GS 6800 Ultegra rear mech, which is the longest version l understand.
However, taking one step back for a moment, l originally had the sub compact chain set and a 11/32 on my Kinesis T3, which l decided was going to be my touring bike now that lve retired. That worked perfectly, every gear was available with no issues at all.

I've recently had my Rourke frame refurbished and refitted the 34/50 chainset and 12/28 cassette, this was going to be my new winter bike.

However, last week l had a change of mind and decided to swap everything over to make my Rourke my new tourer.

As l swapped everything over l also fitted the chain from the Kinesis to the Rourke frame. This was the start of sending me down a rabbit hole.

Cutting a long story short, well shortish, the chain stays are different lengths, which of course makes the chain different lengths to.

I've now fitted a new chain which is a little longer and hey presto l can now get every gear, big/big and little/little with pretty much zero chain slack.

That said, while it changes to the big/big combo it's not a gear l would want to utilize. But at least l know that it can be selected without the chance of snapping the chain.

Sorted!

To be honest, I'm not quite sure what your final setup is (46/30 and 11-32 or 11-34 cassette?) but just FYI the nominal capacity of that derailleur is 37.

Shimano seem to be pretty conservative, so often it works a bit outside the official range.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/ultegra-6800/RD-6800-GS.html

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Sorted!

To be honest, I'm not quite sure what your final setup is (46/30 and 11-32 or 11-34 cassette?) but just FYI the nominal capacity of that derailleur is 37.

Shimano seem to be pretty conservative, so often it works a bit outside the official range.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/ultegra-6800/RD-6800-GS.html
11/34 in the end which l chuffed to bits that it all works to be honest.

I'm off to Bilbao in a months time for 10 days touring with loaded panniers, but stopping in hotels every other night. Nevertheless lve still got to lug stuff about, so the aim was to get as low gearing as possible.

Top Bottom