chain link stiffened

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garrilla

I rode over something on the way to work this morning. Not sure what it what or how big, but obviously I didn't do it intentionally. It made a light rattling noise as it went but I could stop as I was going around a traffic Island at the time. By the time I'd exited the roundabout the noise had stopped.

However, it did leave me with a chain that kept slipping once every revolution of the chain. So I was forced to stop and examine the bike.

I eventually found the the culprit, a chain link that had 'stiffened' up, it would not glide through the dereaileur with out 'skipping' once.

As I had no spare with me and was still 10 miles from work I rode on. It did get better after I had put in a few miles.

I'm guessing that what ever I rode over had some wire in it and this got trapped in the link and then was worn out of th elink over the next part of the journey.

Does this seem like a reasonable explanation? And what, if anything, should I do next to the chain?

garrilla said:
I rode over something on the way to work this morning. Not sure what it what or how big, but obviously I didn't do it intentionally. It made a light rattling noise as it went but I could stop as I was going around a traffic Island at the time. By the time I'd exited the roundabout the noise had stopped.

However, it did leave me with a chain that kept slipping once every revolution of the chain. So I was forced to stop and examine the bike.

I eventually found the the culprit, a chain link that had 'stiffened' up, it would not glide through the dereaileur with out 'skipping' once.

As I had no spare with me and was still 10 miles from work I rode on. It did get better after I had put in a few miles.

I'm guessing that what ever I rode over had some wire in it and this got trapped in the link and then was worn out of th elink over the next part of the journey.

Does this seem like a reasonable explanation? And what, if anything, should I do next to the chain?

More likely that the link stiffened due to lack of oil, grease, then the friction heated the link up, and some oil flowed back into the link IMO

Top Bottom