Chain links

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Think it might be wise to carry a chain tool and a spare link. I've been looking at spare links/connectors but there are lots of different ones. I have a Triban 3 and a Specialized Sirrus (both 8 speed). Any suggestions on he size of link needed?
Sorry...I'm a complete novice when it comes to this kind of thing so I know the answer might be obvious (just not to me!!!)
Russ

deanE

I use these. This is just one supplier, picked at random. http://www.cyclesuk.com/product/Missing_link_8_speed_KMCLK8

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Yes Russ, a spare link (or 2) is a very sensible thing to include when out on a ride - along with the chain tool. Basically spare links are made according to the chain width which is determined by how many gear sprockets you have on the rear wheel - so an 8 speed will work on either of your bicycles irrespective of what chain they have.

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Yes Russ, a spare link (or 2) is a very sensible thing to include when out on a ride - along with the chain tool. Basically spare links are made according to the chain width which is determined by how many gear sprockets you have on the rear wheel - so an 8 speed will work on either of your bicycles irrespective of what chain they have.
Thanks...love the fact that I'm still learning something new everyday (and still have stuff to buy!!!)

Peteaud

Veteran
any 8 speed link will do.

i carry a small toolkit (Topeak) with a chain breaker and an emergency link. Not needed it yet but for a few pounds its worth it just in case.

Top Bottom