Chain not switching

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ellis

Guru
Just bought a new Spesh Allez 09' which is absolutly superb a fantastic piece of kit. Feels like it anyway my first road bike - SPEED!!

Anyway only a slight problem all the gears work fine apart from the big cog near the pedals. At the moment the chain is on the bigger outer cog but i cant get it to go down on to the smaller cog.

I pushed the break lever sideways and it moves but the chain just wont drop into place its trying to but just wont go down. ill be taking it back for its free service in a month or so but dont want to take it back for something minor like this. is there a way of adjusting anything or any advice

ta

spandex

I love Dr D
If the bike is new take it beck to the shop and they will fix it for you.

shimano

if you mess about with a bike in the warranty period you can kiss your warranty goodbye! The place I bought my bike from had the mechanics area at the front of the shop so they had to give it a thorough going over as it was so public (and I stood and watched to try and pick up tips)

spandex

I love Dr D
It is if you know what your doing the thing is if you mess it up they will spot it and might charge you.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
It's the button you press to drop to the smaller cog at the front as it's Sora levers. Left hand brake lever pushed inwards moves from small -> big cog, little black button on inside of lever drops back down.

I used to have an Allez so I'm presuming they haven't upgraded the components on the new one from last year.

OP
OP
E

ellis

Guru
ahhh ha ha what an idiot. i must not have been pushing the black button down enough pushed it then with a bit more force and it clicked more loudly and hey presto the gear changed.

Sorry feel like a tard now.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
lol - no worries, mine used to sometimes do it in tiny steps so the first click would move it sufficiently that the front derailleur wouldn't be catching, the second would actually move it down to the smaller ring.

It takes some getting used to, I guess.

The annoying bit though is that you can't change when on the drops (unless you're an Orang-Utan).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The little clicks are for 'trimming' !!!

OP
OP
E

ellis

Guru
yep thats the only annoying thing about the bike the sora gears and where the switcher is. Its a good introuduction to road bike's i think though so all good.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Indeed it is a nice bike and a great intro.

Had mine stolen last week :biggrin::angry:, so took the chance to upgrade to the Allez Elite... cost some pennies more but the shifting is smoother, the brakes are a damned sight better, and you can shift gears from the drops.. yay! :smile:

All in all I'd have to say that my lovely black Allez has well and truly been replaced and improved with a beautiful shiny red and black Elite.... mmmm, lovely!! It even looks loads faster!! :biggrin:

OP
OP
E

ellis

Guru
yeah went to pick up my bike and saw the elite in Harry halls. if it had been there first time may have plonked for it.

Top Bottom