Chain onto smallest sprocket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

I`ve just picked up a second-hand Viking Giro d`Italia and evrything seems to be working fine bar one thing. I can`t get the chain to move onto the smallest sprocket no matter which chain-ring the chain is on (it has two and seven sprockets).

Any idea what`s causing the problem? I manually moved the chain onto the smallest sprocket but it made a bit of a racket so I changed gear again!

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Possibly the H limit screw of the rear mech needs to be turned counter-clockwise a wee bit. But before doing that do make sure the rear wheel is seated squarely and securely in the rear triangle.

gwhite

Über Member
Being second-hand and perhaps unused for a time, it may be that the FD is stick and not moving over the whole of its travel. Clean and lube and try again before adjusting anything.

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
Being second-hand and perhaps unused for a time, it may be that the FD is stick and not moving over the whole of its travel. Clean and lube and try again before adjusting anything.

Sorry, but what`s the FD - I`m just returning to cycling after a long absence and boy, are the bikes different lol

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
I did it, I fixed it myself. Quite frankly I`m stunned at my new found abilities, I know there`s people on here who can build bikes out of sticky-back plastic and elastic bands but for me this was a major achievement lol. That`s all the gears working properly and I also stopped the chain from rubbing against the front derailleur. It was a bit futtery tho as the cables for both derailleurs are held on with old-fashioned nuts and not allen key nuts. I had to dig out one of those spanners with all the different sized holes in it I got with the kids bikes years ago!

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
Too right - but i won`t be too smug until i`ve done a full road test - it`s now lashing down here to go with the rather extreme winds!

Top Bottom