Chain questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moby Jones

Ok i have only had my bike about a month, but i want to keep my bike i tip top condition. I have started to wipe my bike down after each outing, i also give the chain a wipe and every few rides use some finish lube on it.
My chain seems to be pretty dirty, there seems to be grit and dirt on the inside of the chain. I use baby wipes to clean the chain, running the chain through the baby wipes. No matter how long i spend trying to clean the chain it always seems dirty.

What type of cloth is best to clean the chain? are baby wipes ok
What is the best way to clean the cassette and the small and large chain sprockets.

I am toying with the idea of getting a new chain so i can remove the other one and give it a proper clean.
I am not sure how to change the chain, iam sure its not that difficult, or which chain i should buy but this is the type which i would like -
http://www.wiggle.co...hain-crossstep/

Forgot to ask what are peoples opinions on chain cleaners
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...earch&storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&langId=-1

This is my bike -
http://www.evanscycl...uery=cannondale caad8

looking for opinions and advice please....

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I use a paintbrush and white spirit to shift the muck and then re-lube. I never bother to mess about removing them for cleaning.

D

Deleted member 1258

I use a paintbrush and white spirit to shift the muck and then re-lube. I never bother to mess about removing them for cleaning.

+ 1 on the white spirit. If my chain looks dry I'll oil it, if it looks like its getting very dirty I'll wipe it with a rag and re-lub, if it looks like its getting extremely dirty I'll clean it with white spirit and a paint brush then re-lub, I wouldn't take a chain off just to clean it. This is far more than we did with chains 20-30 years ago, or even 10 years ago. My bikes are for riding the less time I spend messing about with them the better.

italiafirenze

World's Greatest Spy
Get one of these http://www.dotbike.com/p/372?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=FGL and you can take it off and put it back on to your heart's content.

They say you shouldn't keep slapping lube on top of a dirty chain as it will merely accelerate the wear. Though, I will also tend to just wipe and re-lube as nobody is mucking about cleaning a chain after every ride.

If and when I decide to give my bike a "thorough" clean I will remove the chain and scrub it with degreaser and a stiff brush then rinse and repeat, then refit and lube. I always lube immediately or the chain goes very stiff.

I use Clean Ride dry lube.

I had a chain cleaner, it was good at cleaning the chain but very flimsy and soon broke, I think it was Muc Off and came attached to a can of degreaser. It required some serious clinging on to while used too. I would have another but they seem expensive compared to my brush.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
White spirit/chain cleaner should only be used if chain in a right mess.

1) chain is new, so has manufacturer's lube on it - problem is it's dead sticky, but protects the chain.

2) When oiling chain, just drop oil onto the rollers only. Then spin, and wipe the chain with a rag to remove excess (old cotton t-shirts are very good) As it's new, I'd drop a bit of oil on the rag and clean the outer links. The inner links will clear up if you.

No need for any cleaning fluids really.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
I don't know if anyone else has tried silicone lubricants from halfords ( not ann summers).

http://reviews.halfords.com/4028/724542/reviews.htm

I use this on the bike I race on. It is lighter than ordinary oil, it is a spray so it blows some of the muck off when applied. It does not damage the plastic/rubber components on the bike. If you put this stuff on and spin the cranks backwards they spin longer implying less resistance.

It's not so sticky so does not pick up as much dirt.

You can use it to keep the brake/gear cables free.

It stops rust.

I was wondering about trying it between tube and tyre to reduce rolling resistance instead of talc but I have no way of quantifiying the effectiveness of it.

I like Baby wipes and do find they clean my chain up spotless, I don't know if you are doing it but I also use them on the cassette, chainring & jockey wheels, thread through between links and use a clean one to finish.

I found chain cleaners OK but they wouldn't get my chain as clean and would fall to bits after a while. They also have the tendency to redistribute muck into a fine layer which still cover the chain.

OP
OP
Moby Jones

Moby Jones

I spent some time last night using muc off aerosol, rinsed off with plenty of water. Got through a number of baby wipes and then applied some fresh lube. Wiped the excess lube off. I will need to keep a close eye on it in future

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Top Bottom