Chain Reaction MTB Marathon Series

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rammylad

As a roadie fairly new to off roading and also of mature years I'm wondering if anyone can give me any guidance on the above series of events. I believe they used to be sponsored by Merida up until this year. The first event is at Builth Wells on April 10/11th and I fancy having a go at the half marathon (40-50Km). So any pointers about degree of difficulty/steepness of climbs would be much appreciated. Thanks in anticipation.

02GF74

Über Member
they don't go to wales becaause it is noce and flat - but then not knowing your fitness or experience, hard to say.

exepect lots of climbing, mud and narrow track - my experience, not in that series, is they are tough, both physically as well as being technically difficult.

lukesdad

I ve done them for years well organised great events, anybody with reasonable fitness should manage the half marathon fairly comfortably. Just a word of warning if its wet it can be a bit of a slog, wind s can be a major factor. Be prepared for the odd puncture.

The Builth round rolls out for afew miles on the road then takes you up into the hills pretty quickly. Its all climbing and descending from then on. The course comes in sections really technical stuff Fire roads and a few quiet road sections to give you some respite. Its usually well marked with plenty of support. Feed stations can be abit chaotic. I usually ride through unless I need water but usually get it from mountain streams. Not suggesting you do:biggrin:, but make sure youve got adequate supplys on board.

If your fairly fit I d have a go at the 75k. Hope this is of some use.

Debian

Just been browsing the site. Looks very tempting! I might just have a bash at the half marathon.

I've never, ever done an event before. Any hints or tips from the regulars?

lukesdad

Debian said:
Just been browsing the site. Looks very tempting! I might just have a bash at the half marathon.

I've never, ever done an event before. Any hints or tips from the regulars?

Use the roll out as your warm up;)

lukesdad

Debian said:
Is the roll out part of the course for distance purposes? Or is it extra?

No its under control car thru Builth for a couple of miles then your flagged off. Fast at the front and so on.... Dont get to far back otherwise when you get to the first bit of Nagdery stuff you ll be held up, Get yourself a nice place up front at the start. You can always drop back to suit your own pace.

Debian

Thanks for the info, I am REALLY tempted but also s**t scared, never done anything like this before.

One minute I'm "definitely entering" and the next it's "oooh no missus!".

I must get off the fence.

Top Bottom