Chain ring bolts for single ring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonker

Guru
I want to turn a double chainring into a crank with just the small ring but the chainring bolts are too long. Do I need different bolts or is there a simple answer?

midlife

Guru
You need different bolts. Cheap as chips though :smile:

Shaun

midlife

Guru
forgot to add that spacers are available but as you can buy the bolts for a fiver it's a neater solution.

Shaun

djb1971

Legendary Member
Don't forget you'll possibly drop your chain too, on bumpy road and definitely off road. You'll need a chain device or retain the front mech. You can get a clutch mech and narrow wide ring on the front which almost eliminates chain drop. It didn't for me so I ended up with a hope top guide and a bash to keep the chain on. Doubles are worse for it than triples because of the chainline.

D

Deleted member 1258

I want to turn a double chainring into a crank with just the small ring but the chainring bolts are too long. Do I need different bolts or is there a simple answer?

the last time I did this I just used washers out of my bits box as spacers.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Which chainset are you converting? There are all sorts of solutions, depending on what you hope to end up with. Using the inner only from a double can cause chainline issues. Depending on BCD it may be better to put a smaller ring on the outer position. In MTB world some chainrings come with machined offsets, but unless we know the chainset to start with we're going to be struggling to advise.

Top Bottom