Chain & Rings cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Hi all whats the best way to clean chains and gears, on the mountain bike i just pressure wash it after the ride, then blow it all off with an airline and lubricate everything, don't really want to do that with the new bike,
how do you do it.
Cheers Del.

Try searching the forum for the mickle method; its basically running the chain through a cloth until it comes clean, oiling and repeating. I do something similar with baby wipes.

Mad at urage

Pressure-wash = Not Good.

Cycle bearings are not designed to take that force of water, it will be pushing the grease out of wheel bearings, bottom bracket, pedals and headset. Make sure you avoid getting the hose (and degreasant if used) anywhere near these!

That said I use degreasant on wheel rims, frame above BB (where road muck gets splashed) and occasionally chains, jockey wheels and cassette (applied by brush not spray) and rinse with a garden spray pump: This is designed not to blast the flowers and leaves off plants, which a jet wash will do (hence is more friendly to bike bearings). Once washed, use Mickle Method on chain + wipe oil off rings, cassette and jockey wheels.

Saddle bum

Über Member
A KMC missing link makes the removal of a chain a simple affair.

Dunk chain in Hyper Clean, a soluble detergent. Agitate and using toothbrush remove crud.

remove chain and spray chain with WD40.

Wipe clean.

Place back on machine and using 1/2-in brush, lightly oil chain.

Repeat procedure weekly.

10-15 minute procedure.

As this is for a road bike, the rings and sprokets only need occasional cleaning. Hyper Clean and half inch brush followed by water spray to wash off does the job.

teletext45

I used a tin of aerosol brake cleaner, works fine and my gears come up like new!

I do it thoroughly once a month and re-lubricate afterwards.

Chain, i use a chain cleaner little expense but does the job quickly and well

Brake cleaner is a good choice as its cheap, degreases and cleans.

andy

Top Bottom