Chain Rivets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Having never removed a chain before I noticed both my Shimano chains have a smooth headed rivet.

Is this of any significance or can I use the chain tool to push out any rivet?

Attachments

• chain.jpg
    chain.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 28

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Ah, I see what you mean. If you are replacing the old chain with a new one, then you can push out any pin all the way to achieve your objective. However, if you intend to replace the chain you are removing, push out a non-special pin all the way. When you replace it, you will need to buy a new joining pin which has a guide section attached. You then press that pin in as far as is necessary to leave it the same height as the other pins. You then snap off the attached guide section (which should now be protruding from the far side of the chain) with pliers and free off the link as necessary.

The instructions in the link about not pushing the pin out the whole way do not apply to Shimano chains.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The instructions in the link about not pushing the pin out the whole way do not apply to Shimano chains.

It depends! I have always split and rejoined my Shimano chains the old fashioned way and haven't had any problems with chains snapping. I split it at any link and use a cheap, old chain splitter that I bought as a teenager (quite a few years ago now!).

I know this is frowned upon, but with some mechanical sympathy it works ok. The trick is to 'feel' what is happening when the pin is being replaced. When the pin is being pushed back into place it will reach a point when around 80-85% of the pin is inserted into the link. At this point the pin will make contact with the side plate at the rear of the link, if it suddenly feels very tight don't force it but remove the tension from the tool winder, give the link a wiggle, then try again. The pin should go into the final plate with only a little resistance if you get this right, forcing it will either distort the chain side plate or gouge out the pin locating hole which should be a friction fit. I always push the pin a little too far then working from the other side of the chain push it back a little. this serves two purposes, one is to put a little freeplay in to the link to prevent any stiffness and secondly it ensures the pin is seated in the side plate properly.

Top Bottom