Chain Tension?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nilling

Über Member
Just had my rear hub serviced as it sounded like a bag of spanners in a washing machine! My bile is Campag Mirage circa early Ninties. My LBS just keeps teling me that they cannot get the parts anymore.

Anyhow, when trying to re-fit the rear wheel last night my chain has become tangled so I decide to split it and re-thread it (around the rear mech, around the right-hand side of the first pulley and the left-hand side of the second one). When I put everything back I notice that the chain is hanging limply at the bottom and there is no spring tension in the pulley arm (?). When you turn the crank the pulley arm moves forwards and the chain just runs straight through the two pulleys. If I move the pulley arm to the 8 and 4 o'clock positions then there is some tension but nothing it between. Have I broke something, can I adjust it?

My fear is I'll take it back to LBS and they'll say it's dead! :wacko:

rustychisel

Don't understand why you had to split the chain and rejoin. Sounds to me like you've messed up the pathway through the rear mech. Or untensioned the rear mech somehow - is that even possible with newer derailleurs???

Get a bike in good working condition and examine it closely to see what you've doen wrong. Actually, on second thoughts, go to the LBS and explain clearly a) you've buggered it because :evil: you were not happy with what they did in the first place. Keep calm and see if you can negotiate a good result. Try and get them to explain to you what went wrong (thus, learn from the experience).

PS: I'll bet there's dozens of people on this forum can tell you where to find Mirage or compatible componentry; that's probably rubbish from the LBS.

briank

"around the rear mech, around the right-hand side of the first pulley and the left-hand side of the second one"

right and left viewed from where?

first and second counting from where?

Top Bottom