chain wear/new chain...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
I just checked my chain. I put it into highest gear (largest front chainring/smallest rear sprocket)...is that the combination when the chain is at its tightest? Anyway, I am still able to comfortably pull (laterally, from the right-hand side) the chain away from the largest chainring with my fingers. Is this a sign of wear?

i Also did the 12-inch/12-link thing and there is a big mismatch (more than 1/8 inch). A lot of gunk on chain, esp around the jockey wheel.

Can anyone recommend a 9-spd chain replacement? do most come with a powerlink? This is for my allez road bike. thanks.

also How do you clean a chain?

thanks

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I buy this one come with a power link

As for cleaning I wash it off in white sprite leave to dry, refit and spray with WD40, yes I know some people don’t like using WD, but I get 6500 miles out of my chains, but I spray it on every other trip after I come home

potsy

Rambler
Maz said:
I just checked my chain. I put it into highest gear (largest front chainring/smallest rear sprocket)...is that the combination when the chain is at its tightest? Anyway, I am still able to comfortably pull (laterally, from the right-hand side) the chain away from the largest chainring with my fingers. Is this a sign of wear?

i Also did the 12-inch/12-link thing and there is a big mismatch (more than 1/8 inch). A lot of gunk on chain, esp around the jockey wheel.

Can anyone recommend a 9-spd chain replacement? do most come with a powerlink? This is for my allez road bike. thanks.

also How do you clean a chain?

thanks
Is Maz on a wind up here?:biggrin:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Maz said:
Thanks, numbnuts. Does that chain come with a powerlink to fix the 2 ends together? Couldn't see anything in the product description that confirms this.
yes
The PC-951 is our most economical PowerChain while still maintaining our high standards of quality. Like all Power Chain II chains, the PC-951 uses Chrome Hardened rivet pins for increased durability. The PC-951 uses grey coloured plates, as well as our PowerLink closing system.

Tynan

Veteran
mine now has two powerlinks after a break on Friday, fortunately 100 yards from the house at the bottom of the initial hill as sir put his first heavy foot down

it runs a hell of a lot smoother now, so I suspect a dodgy link was there for some time

there's a third link in the pannier now just in case so I may make three

Top Bottom