Chain Wear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
I have been meaning to buy a chain wear indicator and finally got round to buying a Park Tools version. Is this suitable for all chains?

Tried it out on the Brompton chain this morning and on the 0.75 wear side it fits (ie there is at least 0.75% wear, I think it means). The chain was replaced a year ago. Is this normal? I probably do about 2000-2500 miles a year on it. Is it due for replacement or should I wait until the 1% side fits?

When I do need to do it, is it an easy job? Haven't done this since I was 17 and even then I used to have a link which made things easy.

gwhite

Über Member
Don't wait but do it now. To wait too long can result in wear on the chain-rings and rear sprocket so best do it at once. It's not too difficult but you'd need a chain tool as even using a connecting link you would have to shorten your chain to the correct length. Most bike shops would do the job for little cost if you're buying the chain. For a good guide try this:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/

I'm not the best on chain maintenance so I only get circa 1600mls out of one which usually mean replacing them yearly on all 3 of my bikes, so you're doing better than me Chris. The Park chain checker may be a little cautious but I've found by sticking to it I'm getting better wear out of the cassettes.

Top Bottom