Chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
Only had my new Felt QX65 for a week (new to cycling for 30 years btw) and last night I slipped off a small kerb and the chain bounced off the front cogs.

Now I have an intermittent slipping/rattling of the chain and it also falls off when cycling up hills

I really didnt expect any problems after what was a minor fall

Any ideas/help welcome

You shouldn't have such problems after what sounds like a minor event...

Unless the the chain came off and the front derailer was moved out of adjustment or perhaps a chainring was bent somehow (unlikely).

If you can get the back wheel to stay off of the ground, try rotating the pedals and watching the chain, the location of any skips, jumps or noise should be fairly easy track down, but I my first guess would be that the chain is rubbing on the front derailer and therefore not sitting properly on the chainrings.

OP
OP
2wd

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2

Just on my way to pick up a maintenance stand from Halfrauds (£12.00 so bit of a bargain if it does the job)

I can have a proper look then

OP
OP
2wd

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
Got the bike up on the little stand and checked the gears out

Cant see anything obvious but it did give me a better understnding of how these 21 gears work as I ccould see what happens using the left and right EZ fire triggers

From what I can gather (remember I'm a newbie to all this) I may have been using the gears at their extremity which I dont belive is the best thing to do

ie climbing hillls,Number 1 on the right shift and number 1 on the left shift which puts the cogs at their most akward position hence the chain jumping off

Even so,something is not quite right as even in 2 position on the left shift(middle cog front) and set to mddle rear so the chain should be in it's straightest position, there is an occasional rattle/slip

I'll have to wait to weekend now as the Mrs wasn't impressed with me spinning the wheels at full pelt in the conservatory :biggrin:

OP
OP
2wd

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
Off to my LBS

They'll check it out and carry out the adjustments for £8.00 :smile:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
ie climbing hillls,Number 1 on the right shift and number 1 on the left shift which puts the cogs at their most akward position hence the chain jumping off

If by that you mean the smallest front cog and the largest rear cog then there is nothing wrong with that at all. What you need to avoid is Front Largest - Rear Largest and Front Smallest - Rear Smallest

OP
OP
2wd

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
Been to the LBS

My untrained eye didn't spot the chain was twisted :ohmy:

Must have been caused when it fell off the front cogs and wrapped itself round the frame.

I suspect none of this would have happened if the bike had been bought from a LBS who would have made sure everything was set up properly.

I bought mine off Internet (Rutland) and basically fitted the front wheel,saddle and made sure everything was tight,then jsut got on a rode it

Luckily he only charged me £10.00 to fix it and also checked the bike over,adjusted my gears and put more air in the tyres :smile:

Top Bottom