chainline

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave5N

Über Member
Bollocks. I don't see why. Don't have them on our track bikes and there's a bit more force put through in competition than on yer average commute, I'd guess.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
well I can tell you my rear wheel does slip, probably becuase it aint tight enough, however I don`t want to do it up too tight, for I don`t carry around a socket and wrench in my bag on my commute :blush:

skwerl

spandex said:
on a single speed and fixed wheel the amount of force you put on the rear wheel is so much more and they all ways shift no matter how tight you do it.

again - someone please explain this to me. A high gear means much less torque. How can there be more force going through the wheel?
Pedalling in low gear is going to put far more torque through your wheel.
Geared bikes don't suffer slippage due to having vertical dropouts. Older bikes with horizontal dropouts used to have reverse chain-tug thingies I'm assuming to help prevent the wheel twisting and to allow easy set up of wheel position.
Track bikes don't have chain-tugs. The only purpose they serve, that I can see, is they make it easy to get wheel alignment and chain tension correct and mean you don't have to tighten the nuts as much to keep the wheel in place. You can certainly do without them though

Faster, longer, harder. he doesn't like the limelight though so he keeps his light under a bushell.

I'm sorry but what the F is a bushell and why would one keep ones light under it?

Amanda P

Legendary Member
The Bible: Matthew chapter 5 verse 15. The point is that you wouldn't keep your light under it.

GrahamG

Guru
One more post to add a bit of mildly useful information (or useless trivia - I don't mind how you classify it :tongue:), whilst mounting the chainring on the inside 'looks crap', there are lots of cheap 'track/single speed' cranksets out there (anything less than £70!) that are basically doubles and a 42mm chainline is only achievable by mounting on the inside. Besides you really can't tell from a distance.

christian dieu

MrGrumpy said:
ok guys think chain tugs are the answer here and at £6 a pop not to be sniffed at, as for the BB its a brandnew one 103mm which is what the original was. Was actually thinking about mounting the chain ring on the inside but they`re aint enough clearance. Its certainly been a slack chain issue and nothing else, my fault end off.

If there is not enough clearance to mount the ring on the inside then it suggests that your problem is not at the chainwheel end anyway.

Maybe just a twisted frame:evil:

Top Bottom