Chainring differences?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chrisz

Über Member
'scuse the numpty question but.................

how much difference will 38/52 be compared to 39/53?

I am possibly going to purchase a more up-to-date C/Set fitted with 38/52 after years and years of riding 39/53 (apart from my old TT set-up which was 44/55) - will I notice a huge difference? What's the equivalent teeth at the rear (i.e. 1 front tooth = how many rear teeth?) :o)

e-rider

crappy member
I'b be amazed if you notice much difference. 1 tooth at the back is worh 3 at the front. So, 1 tooth at the front is 1/3 of 1 tooth at the back, ie. 1 tooth at the back makes a much bigger difference than 1 tooth at the front! Is that clear?

e-rider

crappy member
I'm surprised if you've been riding for so long that you didn't know this - have I fallen for a trick question? If on you old set-up you change from 39 to 53 (14t difference) you must notice that the change is nowhere near as significant than if you could change 14t at the rear eg. from say a 12 to 26

OP
OP
Chrisz

Chrisz

Über Member
tundragumski said:
I'b be amazed if you notice much difference. 1 tooth at the back is worh 3 at the front. So, 1 tooth at the front is 1/3 of 1 tooth at the back, ie. 1 tooth at the back makes a much bigger difference than 1 tooth at the front! Is that clear?

Cool - confirms my suspicions :o)

OP
OP
Chrisz

Chrisz

Über Member
tundragumski said:
I'm surprised if you've been riding for so long that you didn't know this - have I fallen for a trick question? If on you old set-up you change from 39 to 53 (14t difference) you must notice that the change is nowhere near as significant than if you could change 14t at the rear eg. from say a 12 to 26

No trick question. I was fairly sure I knew but once I started questioning myself I started doubting and was just looking for confirmation :o)

Top Bottom