Chainring replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gf1959

I have a new inner chainring to fit on my compact,is this do-able for a novice like me? Any special tools needed? The BB is a Shimano hollowtech II i think,it's not obvious to me where to start apart from removing the outer chainring first. The new ring is slightly bigger so i'm assuming the gears will need setting up afterwards. I can get the mobile mechanic to come round but you know,if i can save a few quid.......

rich p

ridiculous old lush
You'll need a crank removing tool but after that it's a fairly simple job with allen keys.

byegad

Legendary Member
As it's a double you may be able to remove both rings with the crank in place, try that before you buy the appropriate tool for your cranks. On a triple you can replace the outer two rings this way.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You may not need to remove the crank. It is usually possible to undo the bolts and manouvre the chainrings off the spider.

Don't overtighten those bolts, if not steel they are actually made of cheese. Pay careful attention to the orientation of the old ring and the little pin that goes behind the crank. Watch out for any tiny brass washers that might drop out. You shouldn't need to set up the derailleur, it will probably cope okay if the difference is small. At worst you might need to move it up the seat tube a couple of mm.

gbb

Legendary Member
Cant speak for the Shimano setup, but on the FSA compacts you dont need to remove the crank.
You should need an allen key and a broad screwdriver (if it's the same as FSA), but you may not need to use the screwdriver, the screws may undo without it.
As RR says, look at the pin on the outer chainring, make sure it goes back on correctly.
If your bike has a dog fang, adjust its position in relation to the new inner ring.
Probably 1/2 hours job, quicker if you've already done it before.

OP
OP
G

gf1959

Thanks guys for the helpful advice,seems i might be able to do it without the crank removal from what you say. That's the bit i don't feel confident of. Cheers!

OP
OP
G

gf1959

Thanks Fossyant,that's good news

Top Bottom