Chainring spanner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Surlydave

Über Member
Do I need a chainring spanner to undo bolts on chainring or can I manage with a screwdriver or a 20p coin as some people have suggested. Any thoughts much appreciated.
Surlydave.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There are rather a lot of different types of bottom bracket and chainset, so you would have to give us more information.

PS I bet the answer will be "yes"!

midlife

Guru
One of these?

cnw-1.jpg

Cheap as chips to buy but you can use a wide screwdriver if the bolt doesn't get in the way.

Shaun

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Or use a large screwdriversion and grind the corners away so that you have a central protrusion similar to that shown in the thread above. You can buy such a screw driver - but easy and cheaper to make your own and for this purpose the screwdriver only has to stop the bolt spinning so a cheapo is fine.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Oh, the actual chainring bolts - sorry, I thought you meant bolts for cranks ...:blush:

I have never had to use anything other than a finger to stop the threaded collar moving. An allen key in the bolt has always worked just fine for me. I hold the other side until the bolt has started to do up or when it starts to move when undoing the bolt.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Oh, the actual chainring bolts - sorry, I thought you meant bolts for cranks ...:blush:

I have never had to use anything other than a finger to stop the threaded collar moving. An allen key in the bolt has always worked just fine for me. I hold the other side until the bolt has started to do up or when it starts to move when undoing the bolt.
I've never needed a wrench either till I changed the inner ring on my FSA chainset a couple of months ago, the buggers kept spinning without one.

Best type of wrench is this -

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fwe/chainring-bolt-wrench-ec053207

Those flat things are hopeless and you'll need some Germoline for your knuckles after using one.

midlife

Guru
Seems a bit of overkill that tool :smile: The spanner is just there to keep the inner nut still and you don't actually spin it like a spanner............if that makes sense :biggrin:

Shaun

Top Bottom