"Chain's a bit tight there mate"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I know loose chains are a running joke, but can you have it too tight? It's a bit of a struggle to get mine right, and I thought I'd got it just right, but I'm a bit concerned that I might have overdone it. It's taut - and makes a slight chattering noise. It doesn't cause any problems with the ride - on the contrary, it works really well. But I'm a little concerned that I might be straining the chain - could I be in danger of snapping it?

D

Deleted member 1258

Running the chain to tight is not good for bottom bracket or wheel bearings, your unlikely to snap it. There should be a touch of free play in the chain, about an inch or a touch more

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks Dave - I posted the same query in Know How before you posted - gotsome interesting answers there too. When you say 'an inch', d'you mean that it should be possible to get an inch ofplay in the chain (half up/half down) half way along its run?

D

Deleted member 1258

swee said:
Half way along you should be able to move the chain up and down an inch or maybe a touch more, I wouldn't want it any tighter than that, and wouldn't want more than 2 inches of play. I like my chains a little on the tight side.

Top Bottom