Chains Chain Sets sprockets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Phill057

I just want to know how often you would change the Chain and would you maintain the chain to the life of the sprockets and Chain set. I have recently changed for the first time the chain set the sprockets and the chain. I just want to know Is it feasible to keep the chain for the full life of the chain set. Or is this a false economy. I know from my fitting days I would have replaced all on a full service I just want to know with cyclists what is the norm. Is there a period of bedding in of the new chain. As even when I replaced all I still got a number of jumps of a short period is this the chain stretching to meet the need of the new teeth on chain set and sprocket

Drago

Legendary Member
I replace my chain when the tool tells me it is worn to 0.75% 'stretch' andcthe chainrings or cassette when they start showing signs of wear, typically every 2nd or 3rd chain.

Pauluk

Phill057 said:
Is there a period of bedding in of the new chain.
My initial thought was no but I've noticed that every time I've bought a new bike for myself or my wife the gear change always seem to be a bit clunky or not work properly. After a few rides this seems to settle down and the gears then respond well to minor adjustments.

HovR

Über Member
I just want to know Is it feasible to keep the chain for the full life of the chain set. Or is this a false economy.

False economy. As you use your chain, it wears causing it to lengthen. If you leave a worn chain on for too long it will wear down the teeth on the cassette and chainrings to meet the new length between links in the chain - This means if you put a new chain on it will slip on the now worn cassette.

The best thing to do is to get a chain wear measurement tool and replace the chain accordingly, or replace every 2 to 3 thousand miles.

Top Bottom