Chainsets?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bennydorano

Veteran
When you buy a new 'chainset', whats included? Front rings & cranks only?

Tough sportive on the horizon and finding my new bike 53/39 (11/28) set up very tough on the thighs, thinking of going compact with maybe a 13/26.

Exactly that. Chain set refers to cranks and rings. Group set refers to everything included shifters and brake calipers etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bennydorano

bennydorano

Veteran
Cheers, noticed a good deal for a Campy Veloce chainset (currently have 105), if I proceed with with the campy dont I need some sort of adaptor for the cassette?

I'm assuming my rear derailleur would be ok? (11/28 currently - to a 13/26), chain also?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
You would need to check the gap between the chainring bolts is the same as compacts are 110 mm ( bcd or pcd i forget which) and if i am right a 53/39 are 130mm or 135 mmfor campy i read on ctc forum
Also check if you have 4 or 5 bolts ...
To change to a compact do you need a new BB?

boydj

Legendary Member
Modern chainsets use external bottom brackets and they're not all compatible with each other. Even the old-fashioned square taper bb's have differences between Campag & others. I would guess a switch from 105 to Veloce would require a new bb. Your current front mech should probably work ok, but may not be ideal to work with a compact chainset due to the bigger difference between the size of the rings, and will almost certainly have to be lowered a touch.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Re chainrings :-

The bcd (bolt circle diameter) is important; this can be measured by measuring the bolt centre to the bb (bottom bracket) axle centre, & double it.

To swap to Campag you will need new a new BB. You will also need a new campag freehub if you by a Campag cassette. I'd stick with Shimano personally, my commuter is full Campag Veloce, but once things wear out I'll be swapping everything over to 105 black.

Shimano Freehub
SHimano-freehub.jpg

Campag Freehub
Campagnolo-Freehub.jpg

PS: when you chain the cassette stick a new chain in at the same time :thumbsup:

Judderz

On the subject of Chainsets, my Orbea will now be my winter bike, this has Shimano 2300 set up, but with a Suntour 52/42 square taper chainset, I've just changed the BB like for like, but if I want a 2300 50/34 compact square taper chainset, is there anything I need to look out for (chain length etc)?

Cheers

Top Bottom