Chainstay Protectors on a Road Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What do people use if anything? Got those neoprene wrap-around thingies on my mtb, but I can't remember ever seeing a roadbike with them on. However, considering the cr@p that comes out of it every time I wash (even if I've only been out on the road), means it clearly serves its purpose, and with the stays on the newbike being largely white, I don't really want them covered/ruined by grease and grime.

Is there a roadie version of the neoprene ones? Are those sticker things any good?

Alves

I use something or the paint gets chipped.
Use the discreet stickers on a road bike, some work better than others, some peel off and some stay on, I have never figured out which. The trick is to make sure the surface is absolutely grease and oil free before applying and using a hairdryer once it's on to help the glu stick and mould the sticker to the shape oof the stay.
On one bike I just use coloured insulating tape which I just peel off and replace from time to time. This works OK too.

i paid a lot for some "proper" ones from the shop and they kept coming unstuck.now i use black insulation tape with both ends neatly rounded off. it's been on two years with no problems and unless you get really close up you can't tell what it is.pity you can't get carbon effect insulation tape:smile:

Renard

I've got some clear film made by 3M for protecting the sills on cars. Works a treat and you can hardly see it. I also used it for protecting the frame where cables rub.

GrahamG

Guru
Clear sticker thing here too - go with ivancarlos' suggestion as the ones supplied for use on the bike (cut to shape for chainstay and head tube for cable rub) are a frigging rip-off!

bonj2

lizardskins - they're not to prevent mud getting on the chainstay, they're to prevent the chainstay getting slapped by the chain and thus getting scratched. Obviously on a road bike, the chainstay getting slapped by the chain pretty much never happens. That's why road bikes don't need them.
It doesn't matter if mud gets on the chainstay, just clean it afterwards. Hosepipe/muc off/brush/etc.

But yes, like others said use insulation tape etc to prevent cable rub.

Alves

ben above says "Obviously on a road bike, the chainstay getting slapped by the chain pretty much never happens. That's why road bikes don't need them."
Hmmm.
I contend it is a problem and maybe depends a little on your rear mech and chain length. I have a triple and a long cage rear mech on both my road bikes giving a longer chain length and chain slap is quite common with this set up on local bumpy roads and the stay does get chipped unless it's protected.
Perhaps with a double and a short cage rear mech there's less chain to slap about but in my experience you do need something there

Dave5N

Über Member
Decathlon do some rather nice carbon-weave effect ones for a couple of quid. Very smart.

peanut

As Alves says Possum, the secret is all in the preparation. Even a brand new bike will have greasy fingerprints all over it. You could clean the stay first with spirit and cotton wool , something like whisky would probably do. It won't harm the paint and most will evaporate off.
If you are still sober by the time you've finished you can go for another ride :wacko:

bonj2

Alves said:
ben above says "Obviously on a road bike, the chainstay getting slapped by the chain pretty much never happens. That's why road bikes don't need them."
Hmmm.
I contend it is a problem and maybe depends a little on your rear mech and chain length. I have a triple and a long cage rear mech on both my road bikes giving a longer chain length and chain slap is quite common with this set up on local bumpy roads and the stay does get chipped unless it's protected.
Perhaps with a double and a short cage rear mech there's less chain to slap about but in my experience you do need something there

how bumpy is 'bumpy'...:tongue::eek: ;)

Top Bottom