Champagne Cork Bar End Caps?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
After much deliberation over the perfect end cap (yes, that is as sad as it sounds I'm afraid), I've now got brandy corks on the bar-ends of my commuter and ten speed. I personally think they look a bit smarter than champagne corks. They're also conveniently a near perfect fit, no dremelling required!

I'm lucky that as well as doing an absolutely fantastic job all the time's I've pestered him, my favourite (long-suffering) mechanic at my LBS knows one of the bar-tenders in a cocktail bar below the shop, and asking very nicely for a couple of pairs of matching corks came up trumps :smile: Otherwise it would be quite a lot of brandy to get through!

Guess it's a matter of taste but I particularly like the dark green cork ends with the brown faux-leather tape on my racer :smile:
View attachment 92117 View attachment 92118 View attachment 92119
:notworthy:

ChrisEyles

Guru
Haha, thanks @coffeejo! My wife has just come in and had a good giggle that I've found some fellow bar-end enthusiasts to share pics with :smile:

OP
OP
AnotherServant

AnotherServant

Regular
...I've now got brandy corks on the bar-ends of my commuter and ten speed... They're also conveniently a near perfect fit, no dremelling required!...
Nice. I like it. For dropbars I think those brandy corks look pretty ideal. For the flatbar on my hybrid though, I'm digging the champagne corks. When I stand up the bike by leaning it against something, it's always the end of the bars that's making contact. For that reason I wanted cork on the ends, rather than the caps on those brandy corks. But the caps on those brandy corks sure look cool and decorative!

ChrisEyles

Guru
True, having a cork surface on the bar-ends of a flat bar bike would be useful to prevent the usual scuffs. Looking forward to seeing the finished article!

OP
OP
AnotherServant

AnotherServant

Regular
Here's the end product in pictures. The little Woodman Chupa bar ends were bought from a chap via eBay. I inserted the extra corks into the handlebars hoping it will dampen road vibration. Had to trim some girth off of each with the Dremmel and then smack them in with a dowel and rubber mallet.

IMG_1529.jpg IMG_1531.jpg IMG_1534.JPG

Top Bottom