Change Bike - any experience?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scragend

I'm finding myself tempted by a Change folding bike; specifically the DF-702 road bike.

https://changebike.co.uk/products/df-702-folding-road-bike

There doesn't seem to be all that much on the internet about them, other than what Change themselves have put out there. I've seen this review which seems positive but it's from 2017. Change's social media doesn't have much recent stuff on it. Are they still trading? The web site doesn't give any indication otherwise.

They seem to come direct from Taiwan but they do have a UK web site - don't know whether there would be any customs issues.

I might also be tempted by the frame only; might end up costing the same as the full bike by the time it's built (although I would try to use as many parts from the parts bin as possible) but at least I could choose my own components.

Does anyone here have one, or have any experience of one?

Must admit I've not heard of this brand before. The fold looks similar to the relatively common Montague. Are you familiar with Montague bikes?
They do a hybrid style model, as well as MTB's, and seem good value on the used market. Anyways, happy hunting :okay:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
10kgs. Thats pretty impressive weight for full sized folder.
It does look nice too. Price is good also.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

It looks a bit of a faff to fold, front wheel off, might be a bit bulky when folded.

OP
OP
S

scragend

Must admit I've not heard of this brand before. The fold looks similar to the relatively common Montague. Are you familiar with Montague bikes?
They do a hybrid style model, as well as MTB's, and seem good value on the used market. Anyways, happy hunting :okay:

I've looked at Montague; quite interesting but one thing that I did like about the Change is that it has a downtube so it looks like a "proper" bike. I was looking at the Montague Urban and I like the idea of a 32mm tyre (max with the Change would be 28 I think, although that would still be OK), but it's a bit heavier than the Change. Also the Change can be rolled along on its back wheel while folded, which I don't think the Montague can.

I found a couple of used Montagues on eBay so am wondering whether that might be worth a punt as proof of concept rather than jumping in with both feet for a Change (... for a change :smile: ).

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

scragend

It looks a bit of a faff to fold, front wheel off, might be a bit bulky when folded.

A full sized folder bike is always going to be a faff.

Doesn't seem to be too much of a faff. 37 seconds in this video.

The front wheel does indeed have to come off, but that's sometimes the case with "normal" folding bikes isn't it? For example Airnimal. (I know it's not the case with a Brompton)

When folded it's about 80 x 80 cm I think. It's not tiny by any means, but manageable. And as above, it rolls.

My intended use for the bike would be to take away on holiday, in countries where I can't necessarily/easily take a "proper" bike on the train (not flying). Just thought it might be an easier way to get there. It would only be fairly lightly-loaded touring. Wouldn't need to be folding/unfolding all that often though so I could put up with the faff, such as it is.

I know I'm in the realms of trying to convince myself it's a good idea...

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Kell

Veteran
Be interested to see if this is a good'un.

The fold looks to be very different to anything else I've seen in that the whole rear triangle pivots around the seat tube.

I've no idea if this is better or worse than a frame which hinges in the middle. In some respects I can see it being better. It also looks like you might not 'have' to remove the front wheel - unless it has to be totally flat.

Whereas I think the Montagues won't fold if the front wheel is still in place.
A full sized folder bike is always going to be a faff.

My old full size Dahon Matrix was less of a Faff to fold than the Brompton. Under a second to go from rideable to folded and vice versa.

In fairness, for a 'complete' fold, I think you were meant to also rotate the handlebars, but I never did.

I also had a 'lockjaw' version which took a little longer because it needed an allen key to release the two clamps

Top Bottom