Change of lube from dry to wet.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chriswas

Hello people, I'm looking for some advice regarding my chain.

About 3 weeks ago I degreased and lubed my chain for the first time, and since I never envisaged cycling in the wet, I chose a dry lube.

On Thursday morning I couldn't resist braving the weather for a quick hour before work, and when I got back I duly cleaned all parts of the bike. Concerned about rust I dried (or thought I had) the chain and cassette with a rag.

Unfortunately I've just inspected said chain and cassette and found that they are rusty. Clearly they weren't as dry as I thought.

I realise my mistake was not using the correct lube for the conditions, and I have just read the mickle method of chain maintenance which I will do in future with wet lube.

What I'm not sure about is what to do with the rust. Does it need to be removed first?

Also do I need to remove the dry lube (what is left of it) from the chain before applying wet lube?

And a further question, is there anything else I should be doing before or after riding on wet roads?

I have a road bike btw.

jackthelad

we would all love to use dry lube regular a lot cleaner but british weather does not allow it, so wet lube it is and a quick mickle have each ride.If i get caught in heavy rain I spray the cassette,chain and deraillers with gt85,mickle the chain cassette and redo the wet lube, job done.

OP
OP
C

Chriswas

Ah thanks for the reply, ill take that approach in future. Hopefully I haven't done too much damage.

Top Bottom