Changing 700 c to 29 inch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have posted on another site, but I will try on here.
I have a Giant Roam 2 2014 model
but would like to put 29 inch wheels instead of the 700 c that is currently on there.
Is it possible and how much would it cost ?

Tim Hall

700c and 29 inch are ostensibly the same thing, as both are 622 bead seat diameter. blame the bike industry for making a simple thing complicated. What makes it a 29er is using a big fat tyre on the same rim, giving an overall rim and tyre diameter of 29 inches, or thereabouts. You're looking two inch and a bit wide tyres to get this, so the thing to watch for is if there's sufficient space in the frame to fit a fat tyre in.

A spot of googling says "With a suspension fork plus plenty of frame clearance for off-road tires, you’ll be encouraged to take the path less travelled", so yes you can probaly fit such a tyre in and you won't need new wheels to do it. Stock tyres seem to be 40mm wide, so pretty big already.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
My hybrid came with 700c wheels made of cheese. I built a set of replacements using Shimano XT hubs, mavic 29r rims and DT Swiss DB S/S spokes then fitted the existing 700x35 tyres. Guess what, my wheels would be fine and dandy on a 29r MTB and take any abuse dished out to them but also work brilliantly on my abused hybrid commuter pretending to be a 700c wheelset.

The only issue that I can foresee without googling the spec of your bike is rear hub width. A road wheel set will normally be 130mm OLN width while typical MTB rear hubs are 135mm OLN.

The only issue that I can foresee without googling the spec of your bike is rear hub width. A road wheel set will normally be 130mm OLN width while typical MTB rear hubs are 135mm OLN.
Ah yes, I knew there was a difference but I couldn't put my finger on it when I was looking at the bike yesterday. No problem if he just changes tyres though, just the rim width and clearance to consider.

Top Bottom