Changing bike setup for a newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi
I am new to road biking like many others but I have luckily got an old Trek 5.2. My question is that I am awaiting a knee op, so I like to avoid low cadence and living in the peak district I find the bike's current set up is difficult. Currently, I have Shimano Ultegra 53/39 on the front and 12-28 on the rear. I am looking to improve the hill-climbing, on a budget as long term I hope to get back to 12-28.

I was thinking that RD-4700 Tiagra 10-speed rear derailleur GS, would allow me to swap to 12-34t on the rear, short term. Is this a good plan?

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
Yes, it would work. Why not consider changing to a set of compact chain rails though? A 50/34 10 speed should be easy to pick up second hand, or even new. With knackered knees are you ever using the 53/12?

I've swapped a couple of my bikes to sub-compact 48/32 and it is great.

CXRAndy

Guru
I'd go for a adventure GRX groupset from Shimano. 46/31 cranks and 11-34 cassette.

In fact you can easily fit a 11-36. 11 speed cassette from SRAM. I've just done this upgrade to my inlaws bike

Yes, it would work. Why not consider changing to a set of compact chain rails though? A 50/34 10 speed should be easy to pick up second hand, or even new. With knackered knees are you ever using the 53/12?

I've swapped a couple of my bikes to sub-compact 48/32 and it is great.
Sounds like this is a better plan, I will start looking out for a compact crankset. Thanks all.

Top Bottom